Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How o set homelink without a remote

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I left my remote in rental car from Enterprise when I picked up my Tesla in Orlando and drove back to Fort Myers area on the west coast. They have the remote but refuse to mail it to me, company policy.

Is there someway to activate HomeLink without the remote? I want to avoid driving 5-6 hours to pick up remote and return home.

They have the remote but refuse to mail it to me, company policy.
Weird. I see reports online as recently as a year ago of Enterprise returning items left in vehicles. If you lived across the country they'd hold your property hostage until you flew back to pick it up personally? Sounds fishy. Their rental agreement states they're not responsible for loss of property left in vehicles, but in this case the item isn't lost. They've confirmed they have it.

Pretty strange stuff.

I left my remote in rental car from Enterprise when I picked up my Tesla in Orlando and drove back to Fort Myers area on the west coast. They have the remote but refuse to mail it to me, company policy.

Is there someway to activate HomeLink without the remote? I want to avoid driving 5-6 hours to pick up remote and return home.

Just borrow a neighbor's remote. In reality the homelink cloning is really only learning the type of remote. With rolling codes you then pair your remote (homelink) with your specific garage door. I used the same remote to pair both of my garage door openers. Once cloned they have a unique rolling code going forward. You just need to find a neighbor with the same brand of door. If it was builder installed the will be the same throughout the neighborhood.

I have dual garage doors, with a remote for each door. When I went to setup Homelink on my Model S, neither remote worked so I couldn't get past the first step of the Homelink setup.

Rather than a single purpose trip to the store for batteries, I realized that I had programmed 2 of the 3 transmitters on my other car. So as a substitute for the remote, I held down the button on my other car for the garage door I planned to use for the Tesla. Within 30 seconds the Tesla headlights flashed and I was able to successfully complete the Homelink setup.