Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S slipping back into Park while backing up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 6 month old Model S (85D)

Have had a few episodes where backing slowly out of parking place and and then car suddenly slips back into park (car stops with a bit of a jolt). The first time it scared the hell out of me as I thought I had hit something.

Anyone else had this issue? (Obviously will be bringing it up when car goes in for annual but not sure if worth a special service trip).

About 6 month old Model S (85D)

Have had a few episodes where backing slowly out of parking place and and then car suddenly slips back into park (car stops with a bit of a jolt). The first time it scared the hell out of me as I thought I had hit something.

Anyone else had this issue? (Obviously will be bringing it up when car goes in for annual but not sure if worth a special service trip).
Do up your seatbelt. It won't happen then. Either that or keep your butt firmly planted on the seat, if you lift at all as you turn around to look behind you with the seatbelt off it assumes you got out of the seat and puts the car in park for safety.

If you are turning to look over your shoulder as you are backing you are unknowingly lifting your weight off of the seat. The car senses this and puts itself into park.
I had it happen to me several times when I first got the car.

If that is the case then OP should have had this issue since he bought the car.

@HeartDocMD: Did you do hard reboot of the car? Were you able to talk to tech support?

Because the rear window is rather small from a visibility point of view use the camera and tilted mirrors to back up. Then lifting off the seat is never a problem.

My wife experienced this a few times in her initial few months driving the car, but once I got the rear view mirrors sorted out (automatically angle down when reverse selected) and she became comfortable with the rear view camera, hasn't happened since.

This on a classic 85 we bought via CPO, not a new car by any stretch, so I suspect what others posted, namely, some automatic system engaged to put the car in park, removing weight from drivers seat seems to be one of those systems.

Thanks for the logical explanation. I suspect I am lifting up off the seat a bit as it's my habit to turn and put my arm out to the passenger seat to look over my right shoulder (Not yet learned to trust the backup camera). I do wear my seatbelt (thanks to everyone for their concern about my driving safety:) but I think I must lift up just enough to trigger the park.

Thanks for the logical explanation. I suspect I am lifting up off the seat a bit as it's my habit to turn and put my arm out to the passenger seat to look over my right shoulder (Not yet learned to trust the backup camera). I do wear my seatbelt (thanks to everyone for their concern about my driving safety:) but I think I must lift up just enough to trigger the park.
If you were in fact wearing your seatbelt at the time, then something must have changed, because the seatbelt used to override the weight sensor.

In addition to the seatbelt/butt on seat comments: I am not 100% sure about the latest software version, but typically if you have a door open while reversing (especially a passenger or rear door), you will only be able to go a little bit before the car shifts into park.

I assume it does this so that you don't accidentally try to back out of your garage with a door unknowingly open, potentially damaging it by running into a column.

It takes getting used to be the camera is awesome and much better than looking back actually.