Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why has my 90% charge estimated miles amount increased?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
S 70 delivered 11-19-15 with 90% charge reading 210 rated miles.

Every subsequent 90% charge yielded the same 210 rated miles. Suddenly the most recent two 90% charges have read 217 and 218 rated miles respectively on the charging window of the 17" display and on the dashboard display. Both of those charges were after the most recent ver 7.1 update.

Total miles now is just over 2,000. Wh/mile since last charge, as displayed on the instrument panel, is running just under 290 in mixed city streets and freeway driving with TACC set to 70mph.

Did Tesla change the SOC algorithm, perhaps using the car's recent average Wh/mi history instead of EPA rated usage? 218 miles at 90% equates to 242 miles at 70 kWh full charge.

That happened to me too last Friday. RWD 85 delivered on July 2014. At 90%, 342 km on typical since some months ago (350 when it was new). Then, this last friday it charged to 349 km with a 90% set up. Looked at the charging dashboard and then I saw that even when it was set to charge to 90%, it actually charged a bit more than the "dotted" line!! Changed to display % of battery instead of range and then it showed 92% of charge. Have not charged since them (not a lot of driving during the weekend), so not sure if this is a new consistent bug or what...

Something else interesting I noticed this weekend that I never noticed before and I haven't seen posted yet (sorry if I missed it), but when I turn on Max Battery it increases my Rated Miles by 2-3. I did not expect that. Once Max Battery switches back off it goes back to my usual Rated Miles. Anyone else notice this?