Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all! I'm Paul.

I'm a major car enthusiast, and have been a fan of just about anything with a gasoline or diesel engine for a long time. I loved cars and boats as a kid, and the former stuck with me through adolescence, and is still a huge part of my life today. I regularly visit tracks in the Northeast and Midwest in my modified MINI Cooper, and have taken part in the MINI community (very much a tight-knit and active group, much like Tesla) events and gatherings for several years. If anybody else has a MINI as a second car... Let's talk :biggrin:

Tesla has long been an interest in the back of my mind since the Roadster days. When the Model S was released, I was in awe. I spent a lot of time and effort pestering my mother, who has always seen cars as a tool to get from A to B, about this new, incredible, forward-thinking vehicle. After a few years, 2 test drive appointments, 1 airborne test car (that was me behind the driver seat, not her!), and lots of eye-rolls, she experienced enough of the Tesla magic to take the plunge on a blue S85. That was about a year and a half ago, and she has completely about-faced about her car! She is passionate about her Tesla, how incredible it is, and spends plenty of "Tesla time" with her friends and perfect strangers that are curious about her Model S. Tesla turned a notoriously calculating and un-excitable driver into a car enthusiast!

And now it's my turn. After putting 1000+ miles on her Tesla over the last year, winning a Toyota-sponsored fuel economy competition in it (!) and reading Elon Musk's biography, I've fallen in love with Model S. I can't think of a competing vehicle - at any price point - that I'd rather drive. I've test-driven a 90D and a P90D at the Devon, PA showroom (nearby my parents), have been in contact with them quite a bit, and even had a local TMC enthusiast over to my house to double-check that his Model S would fit easily in my garage, and that the NEMA 14-50 already in place works well. Thank you for your help, SteelGrey!

In the next week or two, I hope to finalize my plans, and either put a deposit down on an inventory car, or custom-order my Model S! My ideal configuration to order is below:

Solid White 85D | 19” Base | Pano | Black NextGen | CF Interior| Black Headliner | AP | Premium | MAYBE UHFS | MAYBE Sub-Zero

I can’t wait to get more involved in the TMC community!

Well, that's that. After going over the Inventory options that are readily available now, I placed my order last night for exactly the configuration up above, including UFHS and Sub-Zero.

Now the excruciating wait begins! Time to go make a signature :smile:

From one Paul to another, welcome.... you won't regret it. You get a new car with each software release!:wink:

Thanks! I've already seen that in action, both with my mother's car and since my test drive at the beginning of the year. The test car I drove was at 7.0, so I got to experience the wonders of Autopilot (and the new dash, though I'm partial to the previous non-AP one). Then by the time SteelGrey came by my house, 7.1 had been released, and we got to try out Summon! New features from software updates is just another reason why I can't pass up owning a Model S.

Welcome! You're a brave guy to be driving a Tesla in Detroit. :) I'm sure you'll have some stories to tell.

I'm most worried about the potholes! Even the base 19s may get banged up out here pretty easily. I do plan to install a Blackvue dual dash cam shortly after taking delivery, too, as an added layer of protection. That and (reasonable) window tint will be my first modifications, and probably the only major ones for awhile. I have my MINI to modify and prep for the track day season, after all. :biggrin:

Welcome! You're a brave guy to be driving a Tesla in Detroit. :) I'm sure you'll have some stories to tell.

Hey now! :wink: Don't let three short-sighted automakers, a deplorable governor, and an equally deplorable legislature sour you on the entire state :smile:

Paul - 20% of Teslas are supplied though / in Michigan. I was the first Model S owner in Michigan and now I am the first Model X owner. It is very well received. The road conditions are another story :wink:

Look at this. Paulharmo has just started out here, and already he garnishes a 1st Place Commendation.

Congratulations for the shortest thread-head in TMC history!

And welcome.

Hey now! :wink: Don't let three short-sighted automakers, a deplorable governor, and an equally deplorable legislature sour you on the entire state :smile:

Paul - 20% of Teslas are supplied though / in Michigan. I was the first Model S owner in Michigan and now I am the first Model X owner. It is very well received. The road conditions are another story :wink:

Thanks, Joel! I look forward to meeting you in the future, which no doubt I will, if you're an active MI Tesla enthusiast. Congrats on the MX! I'd love to check it out sometime, I've only seen one being prepped for delivery from a distance.

Look at this. Paulharmo has just started out here, and already he garnishes a 1st Place Commendation.

Congratulations for the shortest thread-head in TMC history!

And welcome.

And your signature quote couldn't be more relevant! :biggrin:

I pasted my schpiel in from Word, went about typing a title, got the first word in, and somehow... Send got pressed! Oh well. It's short, to the point, and well... true.