Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie service help in Edmonton - windshield defect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I was really hoping to not be posting something like this so soon, but today I found a crack in my windshield over what I assume is the Autopilot camera area. There is no visible impact mark, and when I run my fingers over the crack I can not feel any kind of chip or edge at all; the windshield still feels perfectly smooth. I assume this is a defect in the windshield as the car is less than a month old (Dec 29/15 delivery).

First, a question. I have emailed the Vancouver service centre, noting that the crack has occurred and sending a picture. Is this the correct point of contact for such an issue?

Second, my first service experience with Tesla has not started well. The toll-free service number they list on the Canadian website under Support is not in service (844-248-3752). This does not inspire confidence as to where Canada (or just Western Canada perhaps?) sits on Tesla's radar.

The Vancouver service centre is apparently not open on weekends, so I can't call them today but I don't want to have any issues fighting over the replacement so I emailed them. There is no urgency on my part to replace it at the moment; the crack has spread but is limited to the upper portion of the windshield, well out of my line of sight, and I don't have Autopilot enabled on my car so I'm not concerned with the crack impairing the camera's ability to see.

Anyone in Edmonton or Calgary had a windshield replaced? If so, what was the process -- local glass shop? What was the timeline like to get it done? As I said I'm not in a rush at the moment, but if the crack suddenly takes off it might become more of an issue.

The 2015 and 2016 Subaru Outbacks I've recently had have had windshield cracking problems, I was hoping to have left those behind with the Model S.

Thanks in advance for any advice and/or similar experiences.

Attachments

• Windshield crack 3.JPG
    Windshield crack 3.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 182
Well, I was really hoping to not be posting something like this so soon, but today I found a crack in my windshield over what I assume is the Autopilot camera area. There is no visible impact mark, and when I run my fingers over the crack I can not feel any kind of chip or edge at all; the windshield still feels perfectly smooth. I assume this is a defect in the windshield as the car is less than a month old (Dec 29/15 delivery).

First, a question. I have emailed the Vancouver service centre, noting that the crack has occurred and sending a picture. Is this the correct point of contact for such an issue?

Second, my first service experience with Tesla has not started well. The toll-free service number they list on the Canadian website under Support is not in service (844-248-3752). This does not inspire confidence as to where Canada (or just Western Canada perhaps?) sits on Tesla's radar.

The Vancouver service centre is apparently not open on weekends, so I can't call them today but I don't want to have any issues fighting over the replacement so I emailed them. There is no urgency on my part to replace it at the moment; the crack has spread but is limited to the upper portion of the windshield, well out of my line of sight, and I don't have Autopilot enabled on my car so I'm not concerned with the crack impairing the camera's ability to see.

Anyone in Edmonton or Calgary had a windshield replaced? If so, what was the process -- local glass shop? What was the timeline like to get it done? As I said I'm not in a rush at the moment, but if the crack suddenly takes off it might become more of an issue.

The 2015 and 2016 Subaru Outbacks I've recently had have had windshield cracking problems, I was hoping to have left those behind with the Model S.

Thanks in advance for any advice and/or similar experiences.

So sorry to hear that. If it makes you feel any better, I had a crack in my first three weeks of ownership (and got another one last week). In my case, I indeed saw a (very small) impact right near the edge of the glass <in both cases>, so I didn't consider it a fault in the car. Spurkey, may chime in here, but on his behalf I'll mention that he had a 'stress crack' that was a known issue for early Model S's and Tesla took care of the replacement I do believe. As much as I've been 'down' on Tesla recently, I'd urge you to check again to ensure you don't see any sort of impact before troubling them. The glass 'seems' to crack very easily from some other reports I've read (of course, just like Tesla owners say our paint chips easy, maybe its just a 'rumor' lol).

The number I've been using with success to contact Tesla is 1 877-798-3752 (24hr assistance including roadside). They will often just pass the issue over to Vancouver, so it is good to call Vancouver as well. Speedy Glass is the company Tesla uses in Edmonton. I was quoted $1200 plus tax a few months ago for the glass, plus install costs (that price may have risen with our dollar). I haven't yet had my glass replaced (thankfully, since I got that 2nd crack!), but am planning on having it done in the spring. I have gotten conflicting info on if a ranger needs to adjust the camera for autopilot to work once the glass is replaced (I realize this isn't an issue for you, but just info for others).

Cracks are usually caused by a small chip. Glass is odd in that even a very small chip can significantly weaken the structure. You may not be able to see it but a professional can usually find it.
Glass repair is covered by your insurance.

I had a crack very early on and I eventually did find a small chip to blame. It was minor, the car was almost new and I was really annoyed. I looked into the possibility of stress existing in the glass from the factory and learned that some very early examples did have a problem... but it was caused by a point on the A-Pillar IIRC and was quickly resolved.

With temperature changes this time of year, road bullets... I can believe that an impact significant enough to start a crack traveling could also show little evidence of the actual impact point.

I don't think you'll get very far through Tesla... this is really an insurance claim IMHO. Speedy Glass seems to be a company Tesla is comfortable with.

Cracks are usually caused by a small chip. Glass is odd in that even a very small chip can significantly weaken the structure. You may not be able to see it but a professional can usually find it.

I'm curious about what kind of coverage people have that includes glass at a reasonable cost. Locally here, I have checked with a few companies, and talked to another owner... yes front glass is covered (can't recall if a very small additional fee was needed on the insurance, but regardless), but to have insurance pay for a new windshield would mean paying your deductible (I couldn't find a situation/company where that was less than $1000 due to the cost of the car), and then having insurance rates increase. That hardly seems worth it. If others have found different experiences, I'm all ears. There is a company that insures just the glass (AMI) and i've used them on other cars, but they don't offer it on the Tesla.

I'm curious about what kind of coverage people have that includes glass at a reasonable cost. Locally here, I have checked with a few companies, and talked to another owner... yes front glass is covered (can't recall if a very small additional fee was needed on the insurance, but regardless), but to have insurance pay for a new windshield would mean paying your deductible (I couldn't find a situation/company where that was less than $1000 due to the cost of the car), and then having insurance rates increase. That hardly seems worth it. If others have found different experiences, I'm all ears. There is a company that insures just the glass (AMI) and i've used them on other cars, but they don't offer it on the Tesla.
In the u.s. glass is usually covered as part of the "comprehensive" insurance. The deductible is usually either $50 or $100. It covers all glass breakage for any reason.

I had my windshield replaced by the Tesla SC in Mississauga. The SC is 1 KM from my office, so it was convenient. I understand the local glass shops source the glass from them Tesla anyways....
The invoice was about $1000 plus HST....and my deductible is $1000....so I paid it out of pocket.

I had mine replaced under warranty 2 years ago, Tesla shipped a new windshield to a Speedy Glass near me which took about 3 days and then the replacement process itself took a day. I had it replaced in ... March? It was still cold outside and part of the replacement process involved waiting to ensure the seal had "sealed" given the temperature, so it could take less than a day depending on what weather you have it done it.

I don't know how your insurance system compares with BC's, but here we are forced to use ICBC for the basic insurance... with the option to use them for comprehensive, collision etc., or go with a competitor. I went with a competitor (Canadian Direct Insurance) and selected a $200 comprehensive deductible. Hence, my replacement was $200 and I don't expect to see my rate change... although it would have if I had made a collision claim!

I had mine replaced under warranty 2 years ago, Tesla shipped a new windshield to a Speedy Glass near me which took about 3 days and then the replacement process itself took a day. I had it replaced in ... March? It was still cold outside and part of the replacement process involved waiting to ensure the seal had "sealed" given the temperature, so it could take less than a day depending on what weather you have it done it.

Thanks Spurkey; got an email back from Tesla today saying I can take the car in to Speedy and they will determine if it's a defect or impact damage, and coordinate a replacement with Tesla. If it does turn out to be warranty I'll see if we can hold off replacing until the worst of gravel season is over; if not warranty, I'll ride it out as long as possible. Just have to put up with the "driver assistance feature unavailable" nag that I assume is related to the (non-existent) Autopilot camera view being affected.

I did inquire about glass insurance when I insured the car initially but was also told it was unavailable from AMI. Such is life.

So, according to the Speedy folks, it looks like this is a windshield defect. No sign of impact and passed the "pen test". Emailed Tesla back and sent some pics, once they confirm directly with Speedy it sounds like they will coordinate the replacement. Hopefully no sooner than April.

Actually, if it can wait until spring it would reduce the odds of the new windshield getting a rock chip. I'd like to drive it for more than a month before needing to replace it again. :)
Point taken, and good on you for that foresight. I got a second crack in mine, and I'm itching to get it replaced, but using the same logic... why do so now with the higher risk of a another rock (tho my luck tends to be such that even if I replace it in the summer, it'll get cracked again in no time... hoping my lucks changed!).