Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes after confirmation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ohmman

Upright Member
Global Moderator
Feb 13, 2014
North Bay/Truckee, CA
I emailed NASales about my order. I've confirmed, but was curious about adding the subzero weather package - whether that addition would also incur the $500 change fee. I'm assuming it absolutely would, but just wanted to hear back from them. Does anything have any experience with this? I haven't had a response in days.

It's not a huge deal; I just got to thinking about road trips where I was trying to stretch range. Once my kids are out of boosters (and one of them is close), it would be nice to heat their seats as well and use less cabin climate control.

I don't know but at this point if you don't hear from them I would just hold off until they start making 90D's. In the next several months it's hard to tell what they might change (folding seats?) so better to just take the hit once.

Where is this hope for folding seats coming from? Was there any rumor?

Tesla made a design choice and stuck with it. They chose not to include cup holders in the MS, people hated it, but it's been how it is for the past few years. Now accommodating cup holders is an infinitely smaller undertaking than re-engineering the complicated custom-made seats to allow for folding. That would require months of designing and testing.

As much as I hate the lack of folding seats, I don't see the Model X ever getting them.

Where is this hope for folding seats coming from? Was there any rumor?
As much as I hate the lack of folding seats, I don't see the Model X ever getting them.

There have been rumors which are based off of some things that are known. Specifically, Tesla bringing seat manufacturing in-house at the 11th hour. Also, if you look at the design of the third row and how it folds, a second row that flattens to fill the cavity in front of it makes sense. And finally, the early promise of folding seats.

However, I ordered without folding seats because, like you, I can't make my decisions off of rumor and hope. I may wind up regretting it, but I can always trade up.

There have been rumors which are based off of some things that are known. Specifically, Tesla bringing seat manufacturing in-house at the 11th hour.

My understanding was that this was due to the vendor not being able to manufacture the parts as quickly as they thought. (I'm going off of what I remember from months-old forum posts, I may be wrong). But just taking existing designs that have been approved and tested and moving production in-house is still an order of magnitude easier than making substantial changes to the design.

The other two points hold more weight, but it wouldn't be the first promise that would have to be reneged due to unexpected complications. So... like you, I may regret not waiting for folding seats, but personally I still have strong doubts it will happen.

Last edited:
It feels like a game trying to time these changes. The longer we wait, the more info and better the decisions we can make. But, once the car goes into production any changes turn from a $500 change to a $5000 cancelation fee. I wonder if there is any time from when we are given a VIN until the car goes into production to allow the cheaper easier changes? Or once you get a VIN is it too late? ohmman did you get the premium upgrade package?

You can make changes (potentially) anytime up to delivery, but only if it is possible for the factory to accommodate your change request. I called last week on mine to make a tweak to my interior and was told it was too late, the car was 'done' (whatever that means). I'm fine with that since I'd been confirmed for over a month at that point. But now I really want my car!

As for folding seats, I thought about waiting for the possibility but decided it wasn't worth it to me to wait for something that might never happen. My view is that IF they make folding seats an option in the future I can find a way to make it happen for my car, whether that's an upgrade to the car I have or a swap and it's in Tesla's best interests to not hose their early customers on the X

As for folding seats, I thought about waiting for the possibility but decided it wasn't worth it to me to wait for something that might never happen. My view is that IF they make folding seats an option in the future I can find a way to make it happen for my car, whether that's an upgrade to the car I have or a swap and it's in Tesla's best interests to not hose their early customers on the X

Pretty sure us early adopters will be hosed. That's how it was with the MS. Think Autopilot, glass roof, premium sound system, etc. New options will not be retroactively made available to older models. The only hardware they ever retrofitted was the titanium armor for the batteries since that was a critical safety feature.

I understand Tesla's point of view. However, I feel that a person who conformed 60 days earlier or more,, but has not yet heard from Tesla, should be able to make an upgrade type change without incurring a fee. For example, if you decide to add the sub-zero package or the towing package, or the Audio, or the Premium, or upgrade the number of seats, you should be allowed to do it without incurring penalty. Everything else could carry a penalty fee, since it is for your benefit, and it would either yield a reduction in profit linked to the sale, or not change the net value to Tesla. With an upgrade the benefit will range from $750 to $4500. It makes business sense to allow such a change once, at no additional cost, provided that the car has not yet entered production.

I have been considering upgrading to Ultra Hi-Fi Audio, and would do it only if I do not have to pay the $500 change fee. I do not feel that I need it, but have decided I am willing to pay for it. I can live without it, so Tesla would lose the added value of the sale if they are not willing to accommodate me. I really do not need it, so I would not make a fuss. What would be upsetting to me would be if my order is delayed because of P90D orders resulting from the test drives, since I put my trust in Tesla and ordered the car sight unseen, and people confirming after that 'City Tour' were not willing to do the same. Of course the way to find out whether this did indeed happen would be if no 90D VINs are issued before Feb 5, 2016. No 90D VINs by the end of Feb. would confirm this beyond question.

I understand Tesla's point of view. However, I feel that a person who conformed 60 days earlier or more,, but has not yet heard from Tesla, should be able to make an upgrade type change without incurring a fee.

I'm certain there are things that make these fees important, such as supply chain dynamics and management of delivery predictions. But overall, I agree - I have a 90D and don't expect it until June. Seems like if I'm adding features, it might work out for Tesla to allow that. But yeah.. who knows what's going on behind the scenes.

In my mind none of those changes impact the utility of the car to the same degree as the lack of folding middle seats.

It's hard to quantize. Sure, the panoramic roof and sound system are just little bits of icing. But autopilot can completely transform the daily driving experience for people with long commutes - I'd say at least as much as folding middle seats would.

We can probably say that both features have a tremendous impact, but they would also both likely require substantial hardware changes - the second row seats in their current form, as well as the way they are anchored to the body of the vehicle, look like they they would be non-trivial to replace. And seeing how it worked out with the autopilot, I don't see us being able to retrofit.

I did. I got everything except performance (including ludicrous), upgraded sound, and subzero.

Then you will probably be one of the first batch of non performance Model X's to go into production based on the prioritization of performance versions. But if I remember right, you confirmed a bit later than a lot. Then there is the factor of how ramped up Model X is at the point and time, etc. Good thing is it is not a big deal to you, so not hugee. Still I hope TM's sales/customer service can find in themselves to be more responsive. Good Luck. BTW I am playing a little of the same game because there is a reasonable chance I will want to change some things as new info comes out.

I too got a call today, and would have to pay the $500, despite having confirmed nearly 2 months ago and not having had any feedback. It is fine with me. Their loss. I did not want the upgraded audio in the first place, and that was probably the right call for me. The stock system should be pretty good, and I am not financing so the extra expense I will not incur now means more money in my pocket. I am getting a 90D with everything except Perf, Ultra Hi-Fi, and towing.

Tesla called me today. Yes, the $500 still applies to any change, and no, there are no exceptions for early hominids.

He reconfirmed the party line of "mid-2016" for my delivery, and stated that I should hear from a DS within "a couple of weeks".

Did he or she give you any indication as to when it would be too late to make any changes?