Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things that hang up Summon feature pulling into a tight garage - like mine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quickly pulled together this video to give Tesla a real life example of a tight garage scenario that might not be all that uncommon. Pulling out of a tight garage isn't a big problem... but pulling into one is. Specifically:
  • need to allow user to override the 8" to front wall limit and bring it all the way down to near 0".
  • needs to be able to navigate over lips and boundaries better.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, summon essentially eliminates the requirement for all the special things in your garage to allow you to get in and out. Does it work in the middle bay? It looks like you had plenty of room in the back for the garage door, even if it were 8" back? You don't need to open the driver or passenger doors because you should have gotten out before summoning it to park, right?

Seems like it's almost perfect for your situation, as is (after you remove ramps). But, I agree.. it needs to be a little more forgiving of angled driveways and entrance lips.

So, summon essentially eliminates the requirement for all the special things in your garage to allow you to get in and out. Does it work in the middle bay? It looks like you had plenty of room in the back for the garage door, even if it were 8" back? You don't need to open the driver or passenger doors because you should have gotten out before summoning it to park, right?

Seems like it's almost perfect for your situation, as is (after you remove ramps). But, I agree.. it needs to be a little more forgiving of angled driveways and entrance lips.

The thing about Summon is that it's never going to replace getting into the car in the garage 100% of the time... If it's raining, snowing, very cold, or if I'm in a hurry - to give a few examples - my passenger and I would likely skip Summon. So yes, even though Summon would theoretically remove the need for the ramps and wood blocks allowing me to pull up so very close to the front wall, the realities of day-to-day living say they stay, hence the feature request.

The thing about Summon is that it's never going to replace getting into the car in the garage 100% of the time... If it's raining, snowing, very cold, or if I'm in a hurry - to give a few examples - my passenger and I would likely skip Summon. So yes, even though Summon would theoretically remove the need for the ramps and wood blocks allowing me to pull up so very close to the front wall, the realities of day-to-day living say they stay, hence the feature request.

Agreed. The first day it was available I used it to back out of the garage. It worked. Then tried putting it in the garage. Did not work.

Honestly I really don't see myself using the feature as it currently exists very often.

Much like the auto presenting handles, a nice feature that's fun to show off but something I can live without (unlike the car itself which after 8 months of ownership I don't know that I could live without. :) )

I've only gotten mine to go into the garage twice, out of about 15 tries. The best chance I have is when I remove the ladder and weedeater hanging on the wall next to the space I want it to go in. Making the space as empty and clear as possible. Even then I couldn't figure out the trick to getting to go in reliably.

But, my driveway is on an incline, which I know is not what it was designed for. At least I can summon it out of the garage, which is fun!

I also use summon in public parking lots when the spots are tight and I don't want to worry about banging the car next to me. Also use it at work where the lanes are tight. Summons is proving more useful than I first thought it would be. Hope they make it better, and we can summon our cars from the entrance to the mall or the grocery or the movie theater.

First off, great solution to your weep well around the garage perimeter for the passenger. Nicely done.

I agree that maybe something like a 25- degree slope to your boards may well allow the car to get up on the boards.

I have similar super tight tolerances in my garage. So I can't use summon to back in. I have to curve my way into just the right spot from the driveway. And I have to back in. I have only 1" of clearance from the nose cone to the garage door. It must have taken me six months to be able to get right the first time. But I am curious, why not just have everybody get in the car in the garage? That's what I do, as my garage is attached to the house. I have no need, except to annoy my friends, to use the feature.

And two other things: I am insanely jealous of your huge garage. Oh how I wish for that! And it kills me to see all that salt on your lovely lady. Ouch!!!

Great vid.

You may not know this, but you can Summon while sitting in your car. I too have a narrow garage, and I've given my driver-side fender a horrible abrasion prior to Summons (cost > $3000 to fix). Now I just let the car negotiate the narrow space. If it hangs-up for whatever reason, I take it in/out the rest of the way, confident that it has me on a safe trajectory.

Quickly pulled together this video to give Tesla a real life example of a tight garage scenario that might not be all that uncommon. Pulling out of a tight garage isn't a big problem... but pulling into one is. Specifically:
  • need to allow user to override the 8" to front wall limit and bring it all the way down to near 0".
  • needs to be able to navigate over lips and boundaries better.

Same issues here...exits my garage just fine but can't get over the lip on the way in. Aborts every time. I have a fairly tight garage so I could see myself using it to park the car when I have groceries or things to get out of the side doors. But alas, will have to wait until they provide a fix.

Question - are you wheels and tires the factory 21's? Or are those 21" rims with beefed up winter tires? I like the look which is why I'm asking.

Same issues here...exits my garage just fine but can't get over the lip on the way in. Aborts every time. I have a fairly tight garage so I could see myself using it to park the car when I have groceries or things to get out of the side doors. But alas, will have to wait until they provide a fix.

Question - are you wheels and tires the factory 21's? Or are those 21" rims with beefed up winter tires? I like the look which is why I'm asking.

The wheels are 19" Real Lugano Wheels - aftermarket for my snows: 245/45R19 Nokkian Hakka 'R2' Studless Winter tires. First year owning car and first winter, but so far 85D with these tires has exhibited amazing hold. You can also use these wheels with all weather tires which I'm guessing is all you need in Austin... Thanks for asking.