Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to protect the Falcon Wing doors from a moving garage door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the issues with the Falcon wing doors, at least in my garage, is that when the garage door is closed the Falcon Wing doors extended above the door’s track. So if you out of habit happen open the garage door after opening the Falcon Wing doors, you will have a bad day.

How to protect the Tesla Model X Falcon Wings from a moving garage door - YouTube

Sure the force limit sensor on the door, if set properly, is supposed to stop the door after impact – but not before leaving a mark.

At first I thought to add additional normal garage door sensors , but they only stop the garage door while it is closing. Our concern is with the garage door opening.

To work around this issue, I ordered two pieces of equipment. A reflective sensor and and AC outlet relay that could cut the power to the garage door.

Amazon.com: Seco-Larm E-931-S35RRQ Enforcer Indoor/Outdoor Wall Mounted Photoelectric Beam Sensor with 35 Foot Range: Camera Photo
Seco-Larm E-931-S35RRQ Enforcer Indoor/Outdoor Wall Mounted Photoelectric Beam Sensor

Amazon.com: Iot Relay - Enclosed High-power Power Relay for Arduino, Raspberry Pi, PIC or Wifi, Relay Shield: Electronics
Iot Relay - Enclosed High-power Power Relay

(12V DC Power-Supply + Four-wire cable)

I mounted the reflective sensor on the wall – above normal walking height but below the garage door track - and wired it up to the AC outlet relay.

Now, as soon as either Falcon Wing door is raised, the sensor beam is triggered and power to the garage door is cut, causing the garage door to stop immediate. As soon as the Falcon Wing door is lowered, the garage door can be activated again.

One drawback with this simple solution, is that IF after you get home you start closing the garage door and then open the Falcon Wing door. The power to the garage door will be cut, even though the Falcon Wing door is in no danger. As soon as the falcon wing door is closed, you can continue to close the garage. Small price to pay for some peace of mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: M0DEL³
Great Idea!

I plan on using the Photoelectric Beam Sensor you used with a Z-Wave relay. I already have a tilt sensor and Z-Wave relay on my garage door so I can remotely open/close it from my iPhone using the SmartThing's Home Automation Hub (VIDEO).

With the added sensor you used and a Z-Wave relay in my setup. I can have the garage auto-stop or lock when the FWD is fully opened and have it only stop when the garage door is opening eliminating the drawback you faced.

Now solve the door sequence problem. If you have auto open and close set everything works fine if the door is in the right position when you approach it.

I had to turn off the feature in the car after my wife almost drove into a closing door several times. If the door is open as the car approaches it sends the signal and the door starts to close. Now we need smarter garage doors that have a different signal for open and close. It's a nice feature but just be careful if the door is open as you approach.

Now solve the door sequence problem. If you have auto open and close set everything works fine if the door is in the right position when you approach it.

I had to turn off the feature in the car after my wife almost drove into a closing door several times. If the door is open as the car approaches it sends the signal and the door starts to close. Now we need smarter garage doors that have a different signal for open and close. It's a nice feature but just be careful if the door is open as you approach.

Roamer, I may have a something that could help you with that issue. If you set up the homelink when the car is farther away from the actual garage door it will start opening/closing when you are farther away and you will see it happening. It should still reach the garage door this way. I set up homelink on the street about 100 feet from the garage and it starts opening (or closing in this case) the garage door before I even get in the driveway.

Yep, seen the same scenario due to the limited HomeLink system communication. As you pointed out this could be solved with a discreet open and close command, but in the meantime...

IF the car is arriving AND the garage door is open, THEN cut power to the door so the HomeLink signal is inhabited UNTIL the car is in the garage.

Hm seems complicated.

Great Idea!

I plan on using the Photoelectric Beam Sensor you used with a Z-Wave relay. I already have a tilt sensor and Z-Wave relay on my garage door so I can remotely open/close it from my iPhone using the SmartThing's Home Automation Hub (VIDEO).

With the added sensor you used and a Z-Wave relay in my setup. I can have the garage auto-stop or lock when the FWD is fully opened and have it only stop when the garage door is opening eliminating the drawback you faced.

Nice setup. Do you plan to use a Z-Wave relay to cut the power to the garage door motor as well? It was the only way I could figure out how to "lock" the garage door from both button push and HomeLink actions.

- - - Updated - - -

And for those of us that back in to their garage?

If you back in, your doors will likely clear the garage door track. That was a no-go with my wife.

Seems like a couple software updates could address these issues. 1. 15 second delay before the car moves allowing it to confirm the door position vs trying to sneak under a moving door. 2. Memory function like the air suspension has that knows in your garage the FWD should open to a determined height.

Nice setup. Do you plan to use a Z-Wave relay to cut the power to the garage door motor as well? It was the only way I could figure out how to "lock" the garage door from both button push and HomeLink actions.
I won't have it cut off power but rather send a push button command to my opener (as my opener has a built in battery backup) and it will only send a push button command when the tilt sensor is opening while the FWD are opened and block the Photoelectric Beam Sensor you used.

- - - Updated - - -

But obviously I am going to have to experiment with this setup to make sure it works.

I won't have it cut off power but rather send a push button command to my opener (as my opener has a built in battery backup) and it will only send a push button command when the tilt sensor is opening while the FWD are opened and block the Photoelectric Beam Sensor you used.

Gotcha. IF tilt sensor senses opening AND blocked beam THEN simulate push button via relay (which should stop the door).

Seems like a couple software updates could address these issues. 1. 15 second delay before the car moves allowing it to confirm the door position vs trying to sneak under a moving door. 2. Memory function like the air suspension has that knows in your garage the FWD should open to a determined height.

I like the direction of #2. Like the rear hatch, you should be able to set a predetermined height to FWD, but rather than using this height all the time, have that setting be location-based.

Nice video, as always, and a good solution. Like K-MTG, I have a tilt sensor and z-wave relay on my door. I can rig up something similar if necessary. However, we're going to use my MS HPWC initially before deciding where to install the charger for the MX. My goal is to have it on the back wall, and back the MX in. My wife, who doesn't like to back into the garage, can use summon, assuming it's convenient.

We're also planning to completely remove our dual garage doors and replace with a large single door and a wall-mount opener. Then I can put the rails as close to the ceiling as possible, which should make none of this necessary.