Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto adjusting screen brightness fights you

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
UI fail. Once this auto brightness feature has in its head how bright it thinks the screen should be, based on its learnings from your past adjustments during various daylight levels... by gosh that's what brightness you're going to get. My manual tweaks on the dial are bullied back to its liking in a matter of 10 seconds. Jeez man! When driver gives you a new input take it, and learn that my friend... he wants more light! Back off the aggressiveness.

Solution: uncheck box.

Solution: uncheck box.

I did that the first day. It was in night mode when I was leaving my garage during my morning commute, and in the evening, it was so dim I couldn't discern the Nav Traffic. I'm not sure who the feature is targeted towards. The only time I could see it working for me is if I'm driving on rural roads at night and know where I'm going. Don't they have the brightness as an option on the steering wheel controls anyway? I hate it when algorithms think they know what I want, they usually don't. I much prefer 'predictable'. I'm the Alpha, not my electronics.

I wish they would put more effort into adding real features, instead of tweaks.

Or just do the feature right the first time.

The real solution here is to have the autobright algorithm kick back to intensive learning mode when driver diddles the input, put a real lite bias on the learnt curve and strong bias on fresh inputs. In other words, listen harder and do what you're told no matter what you think, and adjust your thinking because of it... hey wait, is this AI?

Programmer on autodrive got demoted to autobright, thank goodness, I guess.