Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Rear Storage Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can a current MX owner please take a picture of the rear area with the third row seats down? I am concerned by a You Tube video I saw yesterday that showed the seats down, but the storage area not being flat. In other words, we understood that the third row seats folded down flat so the entire area was one surface. However, in the video, there appeared to be two different levels with the backs of the seats being a good eight inches higher. Thanks in advance.

Can a current MX owner please take a picture of the rear area with the third row seats down? I am concerned by a You Tube video I saw yesterday that showed the seats down, but the storage area not being flat. In other words, we understood that the third row seats folded down flat so the entire area was one surface. However, in the video, there appeared to be two different levels with the backs of the seats being a good eight inches higher. Thanks in advance.

The trunk compartment cover can be placed in a high position or lower position (or completely removed). There are many photos around that show the different levels. Here's one that shows the cover in the high position. Tesla Model X P90D Review - Part I (4K) - Page 2

The trunk shelf has two positions, if you put the shelf in one of the positions it's not level with the back of the seats when folded down.

For those who want more detail, the bottom storage under the trunk load floor is not flat. An air duct takes up the majority of the space and the other side is uneven.

Here is a photo of some of the items that can fit with more than enough room to put the CHAdeMO Adapter box on top of all of this. Here is the Tesla Tire Repair Kit, box of three adapters, towing hitch, and the Mobile Connector Bundle.
IMG_1077.JPG

For those who want more detail, the bottom storage under the trunk load floor is not flat. An air duct takes up the majority of the space and the other side is uneven.

Here is a photo of some of the items that can fit with more than enough room to put the CHAdeMO Adapter box on top of all of this. Here is the Tesla Tire Repair Kit, box of three adapters, towing hitch, and the Mobile Connector Bundle.
View attachment 109260

That works to use the irregular space in the basement to store seldom needed items.

I have found "Moab" bags are just the right size for road essentials like a compressor, charge cord and other roadside emergency items.

Pricy bag but well made and durable. Makes it easy to keep everything in one place. I keep mine in the frunk since I seldom use the frunk.

I used a similar system on the classic S cars using the frunk "microwave" cubby hole bag.

Last edited:

To add a little context: Though not completely flat, I easily fit a standard airline roll-aboard bag in this space, with the trunk cover on the high position (with plenty of room to spare).

To add a little context: Though not completely flat, I easily fit a standard airline roll-aboard bag in this space, with the trunk cover on the high position (with plenty of room to spare).
I don't suppose you know if the current Model S Tesla bag that fits in the well in the S fits in the well in the X?

Visited with Roamer yesterday in Mesa to tour his new SigX. Pretty cool.:cool:

I don't suppose you know if the current Model S Tesla bag that fits in the well in the S fits in the well in the X?...
This is a Signature bag that was sent to owners of Model S Signature. With the comparison photos of the Model S frunk, the Model X frunk and the lower trunk space in Model X, I hope this information helps. The Igloo cooler dimensions are here: COOL 24 CAN | The Igloo Online Store

IMG_1073.JPG
IMG_1071.JPG
IMG_1074.JPG

UPDATE: Here are all the items in the trunk of Model X and the cover closed at the higher position. Notice how the trunk load floor cover can swing into an angled position while loading the area. This easier positioning of the angled cover only occurs when the cover is in the high position. The CHAdeMO box is sitting on top of the air duct that is located under the molded cover. The Mobile Connector Bundle is upright on the far left side and the three adapters are in the box to the right of the CHAdeMO adapter.
IMG_2356.JPG
IMG_2357.JPG

OT: There is a down sleeping bag in the Tesla bag. Plan ahead to stay warm in freezing weather if power is out during winter travel.

Last edited:
I don't suppose you know if the current Model S Tesla bag that fits in the well in the S fits in the well in the X?

Visited with Roamer yesterday in Mesa to tour his new SigX. Pretty cool.:cool:

Bill enjoyed your visit. You should have asked. Here is a photo of the S basement bag in the X basement. Eight inches of irregular space under the bag and room to close the cover in the upper position on a full bag. Difficult to capture the fit in a photo.
image.jpeg