Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drag Race -- Linde Open, Sweden

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried drag racing (1/8 mile, 201m) for the first time last weekend. I was really amassed that the times were so consistent from race to race. It was the first time for EV drag racing in Sweden. We were 2 Tesla Roadsters, my competitor had an 2.5 Sport and I have a 2.0 Non-sport.

My best time was 8.2498 seconds.

My competitors best time was 8.1266 seconds. Does anybody know a better time for 1/8 mile?
I found one 8.14 time from 2010 which claims to be a record.

Has anyone seen this much power in a non-sport before?
IMAG0300_small.jpg

The torque was consistent 272 but the power was between 272 - 282. I thought that there was a limit at 248 for a non-sport.

I tried drag racing (1/8 mile, 201m) for the first time last weekend. I was really amassed that the times were so consistent from race to race..

We did the 1/8 mile last year. The consistency by simply hitting the accelerator run after run was kinda boring. The fun part was the crowd conversations.

I'm not a contender! The way they classify cars here, the Roadster comes in as Class B (second from top out of five classes). Unfortunately for me, because I'm a newbie competing against some of the best drivers in the club.

Approximately ½ mile track, 8 runs, uses up about 40 ideal miles.

Uses up tires, brake pads, wheel bearings. Drive train components, heats up the battery with corresponding shorter life. The cone marks come off with goo remover. There is an increased risk of loosing control and hitting a light post (I have seen it). Personal auto insurance does not cover accidents during competitive events.

On the bright side you will have fun and learn how to drive better. Who knows, you might learn driving techniques that could save your life someday.:smile:

Approximately ½ mile track, 8 runs, uses up about 40 ideal miles.

Uses up tires, brake pads, wheel bearings. Drive train components, heats up the battery with corresponding shorter life. The cone marks come off with goo remover. There is an increased risk of loosing control and hitting a light post (I have seen it). Personal auto insurance does not cover accidents during competitive events.

On the bright side you will have fun and learn how to drive better. Who knows, you might learn driving techniques that could save your life someday.:smile:

+1 on all of the above, except perhaps about the battery. Just 7-8 runs of a minute or two over the course of a day doesn't have any significant impact on battery temperature. You're simply not driving long enough, and the gaps in-between are quite long. I think just having the car sitting in the sun all day warms it up more.

Car wax is great for removing things like tar, rubber, and cone scuffs. Although the cones are very floppy and won't hurt your car, your license plate isn't very solid either. You might want to consider removing the front plate, in case you, say, mow down a whole row of cones your first time out (who, me?).

Like Roger said, Autocross is a very safe and fun way to improve your driving skills. My only advice... if you screw up, lock 'em up.

I know you're being funny... but seriously, if you lose control of the car, you gotta get on the brakes HARD. Throw the ego out the window, and don't try to "recover" it. The best way to get the car under control is to stop it.
I prefer to bring any car to a stop without locking up the wheels. Whether anti-lock brakes are part of the equipment or not, I've found that familiarity with your vehicle allows you to stop without a panicked lock-up. When the wheels are locked up, you cannot steer the car, and it can easily collide with something out of your control.