Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Short tall or long low Model 3?

Do you prefer Tall or Long Model 3?

• Tall and Short

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Long and Low

Votes: 69 83.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Olle

Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
I though the whole time that Model 3 would be made long and low, like a 3 series, especially since Elon has referred to it as a 3 series class vehicle. EVs in this price range seem to be really short and tall though, like the i3, the Leaf and the Bolt. Not sure why. The Bolt being explicitly positioned as a Model 3 competitor got me thinking that the design might not be a mistake and that there could be a reason for this. Might it actually be possible that Tesla goes with these proportions? There has to be a range and safety penalty with these proportions of large frontal area and less crumple zones (except from above :wink:).

If you were to buy a Model 3, would you wish for it to be long and sleek or short and tall?

Last edited:
Long low, but I'd rather not go overboard with that as we have seen in some non-Tesla-originated concept / mockup images. Also, it all depends what one considers long, short, long, tall. I personally wouldn't consider BMW 3-series that long or low. Not disputing your point, just nitpicking a bit, no offense meant ;-)

Short and tall = motability car...

UKs No.1 Motability car, the Vauxhall Mokka...

autowp.ru_vauxhall_mokka_21.jpg

It will be longer to help with aerodynamics (and battery space and crumple zone). The i3, Bolt and Leaf are not particularly aerodynamic partly because short hurts aero. Aerodynamics are the primary factor in energy consumption (and therefore range) at freeway speeds, so the Model 3 will need very good aero to meet its design goals.

7-0 for long low so far. Phew, I thought for a while that I mas in a minority wishing for this. Strange why the Bolt is so short and tall, it doesn't seem to be what people wish for. Even more of a mystery considering the design hurdles with higher drag, lower crash worthiness, less battery space and so on.

Vote here for short and tall, as it would be a great replacement for my Smart ED. My garage could not fit another long car in it...
But of course, my needs come first riiiiight.

If we ever decided to switch from Model S to Model 3, then I'd have to switch my vote to long/short, but I don't see that happening, my wife loves her large/safe Tesla S.

Long low, but I'd rather not go overboard with that as we have seen in some non-Tesla-originated concept / mockup images. Also, it all depends what one considers long, short, long, tall. I personally wouldn't consider BMW 3-series that long or low. Not disputing your point, just nitpicking a bit, no offense meant ;-)
I agree with you the 3 series isn't that long and low, but relative the the Bolt it is. I brought this up since the common sentiment is that the Bolt is a response to the Model 3, a "Model 3 killer" (LOL) and so on and that there might be reasons for its shape. If most people want a long nice looking car, perhaps GM's strategy was to take those customers who can't buy the 3 because their parking space is too short.

Last edited:
We already know that the Model 3 will be about 15% to 20% shorter than the Model S. That makes it a mid-sized car. So it's already longer than a Bolt. What we don't know is how tall. Well, it's got to be tall enough to have decent head room in the 2nd row. So I expect it to be a few inches taller than the Model S. I'd bet the dimensions will be similar to an Audi A3 (175"L x 56"H). Model S is 196"L x 56.6"H). I think Model 3 will come in at 172"L x 59"H.

I'm DEFINITELY both feet in the long-and-low camp, although it needn't be to done to the exclusion of practicality. The stated M3 targets - 3 series, C-Class, A4, etc. - are all great examples of how to make practical sexy. Just as the MS does in its size/class.
I also am optimistic that the M3 won't be tall-and-short because the Y will fill that slot. Why would they both have utility vehicle proportions?

Had to check and you are right. GM owns Vauxhall now so they just assemble the cars GM design and put a badge on it.

It is manufactured mostly in South Korea and sold by Vauxhall, Opel, and Buick. But manufacturing is so diverse now that it is difficult to say where some vehicles are actually made.

It has sold really well. I'm sure the hot small CUV segment is why the Bolt is a small CUV.

But the model Y is the Tesla that will compete directly with Bolt, not the model 3.

It will be longer to help with aerodynamics (and battery space and crumple zone). The i3, Bolt and Leaf are not particularly aerodynamic partly because short hurts aero. Aerodynamics are the primary factor in energy consumption (and therefore range) at freeway speeds, so the Model 3 will need very good aero to meet its design goals.

Excellent point. And Musk has stated that they're trying to achieve a sub 2.0 Cd with this car, which would be phenomenal.

Can't I have short and low? I don't want a long wheel base. The S is the longest car I've had and I hope the 3 (which I plan to get) is indeed shorter as promised. I don't want a tall car though, as I prefer to sit closer to the road.

Can't I have short and low? I don't want a long wheel base. The S is the longest car I've had and I hope the 3 (which I plan to get) is indeed shorter as promised. I don't want a tall car though, as I prefer to sit closer to the road.

Long is relative. Nobody expects it to be as long as the Model S. The question is whether you would rather have it be more like the BMW 3 series (182" or 4600mm) or more like the Chevy Bolt (164" or 4166mm). Short and low is a sports car.