Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please field report any Canadian Supercharger problems to Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

My wife was using the Port Hope Super Charger last night...she encountered a red ring at the first stall she tried to hook up to...her subsequent attempt at a different stall worked fine.

It occurred to me that we should email a field report of any Super Charge "hook up fails" to Tesla...I contacted the Yorkdale Store...they agreed, and asked us to email in any field reports of "session failures" to them

at [email protected]

Hi All,

My wife was using the Port Hope Super Charger last night...she encountered a red ring at the first stall she tried to hook up to...her subsequent attempt at a different stall worked fine.

It occurred to me that we should email a field report of any Super Charge "hook up fails" to Tesla...I contacted the Yorkdale Store...they agreed, and asked us to email in any field reports of "session failures" to them

at [email protected]

At red deer I had the cable get stuck in my car. I spent about 5 minutes trying to free it (pushing it in before pressing button, not pulling too early, etc). I finally called Tesla (chose the option about supercharger issues), and after another 5 or so minutes on hold, got connected with someone. She didn't seem to fathom how the cable could be stuck in the car (not being released). Once she finally understood, she basically said "oh... that's not good then" <yep, that's why i'm calling for help!>. By this point a good 15 minutes had passed, all the while I was fiddling with the cable, and it finally freed itself. Shortly afterward I had a charge port failure, so this may have been an early warning of impending failure. I just found her response rather amusing (especially as I got free at about the same time... I may not have been laughing if I remained stuck).

You were absolutely right to phone them as you had an emergency situation.

The purpose of emailing TM when a stall is out of order is to let TM know ASAP so they can trouble shoot and fix the stall asap. ..we have so few Super Chargers in Canada, we want and need all of the stalls to be operational as much as possible.

Just using the "squeaky wheel" gambit Hugh...we haven't had that many report of stall failures in Canada...might as well watch some case study examples to see how quickly Tesla responds to these issues...at least for a little while.

I was told by Tesla that we should send an email to report any stall that was not working...I was told this when I phoned in to the Yorkdale store to report a stall that wasn't operational at the Port Hope station.

Do we know if they actually action things sent to that email? I feel that a supercharger stall not working is always worth a phone call. Last time I called there was zero hold time, and the whole conversation took less than a minute.

I was told by Tesla that we should send an email to report any stall that was not working...I was told this when I phoned in to the Yorkdale store to report a stall that wasn't operational at the Port Hope station.
When have the stores ever known what goes on in the rest of the company? I'd phone corporate instead, there's specifically a menu option for supercharger issues, and is harder to ignore.

Have to been to the store at Yorkdale lately? The staff there are now more experienced and much better at dispensing advice than they were in the early days. Perhaps you should be less insulting to them. :rolleyes:

Regardless, if we encounter a stall malfunction at a Super Charger, please either email or phone Tesla to advise them of the issue.

When have the stores ever known what goes on in the rest of the company? I'd phone corporate instead, there's specifically a menu option for supercharger issues, and is harder to ignore.

Hmmm... I had thought that these things were connected and would report back to the "mothership". I found the second stall from the left at Comber gave me a red ring just before Christmas and then again about a week later. The other stall I moved to worked fine. I guess I should have called it in...

Hmmm... I had thought that these things were connected and would report back to the "mothership".
They do, but with the information at our disposal when at a Supercharger we don't know what is wrong, so we don't know if it will call it in.

Imagine a situation where the supercharger doesn't detect that a car is present, it won't charge the car, but it also doesn't know it has a problem it needs to report as it thinks it's just hanging out waiting for a car to arrive, not knowing there's already one plugged in trying to charge.

Also if it's somehow misinterpreting charging data from the car, Car requests 100kw, it delivers 10, you're frustrated because it's so slow, the supercharger though thinks the car must be either cold or full so it thinks it's doing everything right.

The Superchargers will likely report when they know there's a fault, but there are definitely situations where they might not work, but also not know that they have a problem. That's where us calling in helps.

Tesla should post an 800-number on the Superchargers for owners to call in if they have issues. I wouldn't have known who to call when I was at Comber other than the number I've saved for roadside assistance (and wouldn't have thought that was an appropriate number to use).
Many (though not all) of the superchargers I've seen actually do have an 800 number written on them. However if you call the normal Tesla roadside assistance line there is a specific menu option for supercharger issues, so yes, it appears it is the appropriate number to call.

Tesla should post an 800-number on the Superchargers for owners to call in if they have issues. I wouldn't have known who to call when I was at Comber other than the number I've saved for roadside assistance (and wouldn't have thought that was an appropriate number to use).
They do - at least the ones in Red Deer & Canmore do. The number is on a little sticker on the interior red portion, just below where the connector clips into the unit.

I was just at Montreal, and they did have a number posted on it. It's below where the plug rests when stowed.

They do, but with the information at our disposal when at a Supercharger we don't know what is wrong, so we don't know if it will call it in.

Imagine a situation where the supercharger doesn't detect that a car is present, it won't charge the car, but it also doesn't know it has a problem it needs to report as it thinks it's just hanging out waiting for a car to arrive, not knowing there's already one plugged in trying to charge.

Also if it's somehow misinterpreting charging data from the car, Car requests 100kw, it delivers 10, you're frustrated because it's so slow, the supercharger though thinks the car must be either cold or full so it thinks it's doing everything right.

The Superchargers will likely report when they know there's a fault, but there are definitely situations where they might not work, but also not know that they have a problem. That's where us calling in helps.[/QUOTE

Great! Just what we need! A Supercharger with sentience!