Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Third Row Comfort/Spaciousness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During the Model X reveal event we weren't allowed to sit in the third row on the test drive, and there was too much of a mob, I didn't get to try Elon's third row. However, the engineer who took us on the test drive said that Elon is 6'2", and he wanted to design the X such that he could sit in the 3rd row.

How would you all evaluate what it's like to sit in the third row? Is it actually ok for a 6'2" adult? What are the biggest negatives (i.e. Head rubbing against ceiling, insufficient shoulder room, insufficient leg room)?

is it the kind of place that's ok for 2 adults to sit in a pinch? But perhaps not enjoyable for long drives?

thanks

With the 7 seater, I imagine the 3rd row would be a bit tight for a 6'2" individual...Shoulder and head room are probably sufficient but leg room might be limited.
I went with the 6 seat config so you have room to stretch those legs (in the rare event that I need to carry 5 or 6 people...

I'm 6' and sat in the 3rd row at the reveal (Elon's car is a 7 seater). I was comfortable, but I wouldn't want to be back there for a long trip unless I was alone and could swivel to put my feet under the middle seat on my left or right, creating and angle. That said, I've flown coast to coast in less comfortable seating/leg room situations!

Thanks for the quick reply!

Im also thinking 6-seat so that's good to know. Since you can slide the 2nd row forward, is the legroom issue solvable by doing that and "sharing" the legroom between 2nd and 3rd rows? Or is there just not that much space to go around for both 2nd and 3rd row passengers to have ample space?

where I'm coming from is - I'm still debating whether to go with CPO model S with jump seats. My kids are 2 and 4 so they could use those rear facing seats for a good 5+ years. My thinking is, if the Model X 3rd row is really only comfortable for kids anyway, maybe there's not a hugely compelling reason to make the jump to the X? But, if the Model X 3rd row is a legit 3rd row, that yo wouldn't mind putting grandpa in, then that starts to get compelling.

I'm 6' and sat in the 3rd row at the reveal (Elon's car is a 7 seater). I was comfortable, but I wouldn't want to be back there for a long trip unless I was alone and could swivel to put my feet under the middle seat on my left or right, creating and angle. That said, I've flown coast to coast in less comfortable seating/leg room situations!

Ditto on pvogel's evaluation. I am also 6' and got to sit in the back seat of Elon's, as people moved the second row seats back and forth. I found the headroom sufficient, but the second row seats kept running into my knees and my size 11 shoes. I'd want to stretch out in the third row as well. Two kids would be quite comfortable there, though.

Ron
SigX VIN #484

Ditto on pvogel's evaluation. I am also 6' and got to sit in the back seat of Elon's, as people moved the second row seats back and forth. I found the headroom sufficient, but the second row seats kept running into my knees and my size 11 shoes. I'd want to stretch out in the third row as well. Two kids would be quite comfortable there, though.

Ron
SigX VIN #484

Ditto on pvogel and ron. I am 6'4" and sat in the back seat. It was cramped, but I could do it if somebody was driving me to dinner for a couples date. Not a road trip across the country, though.

With the 7 seater, I imagine the 3rd row would be a bit tight for a 6'2" individual...Shoulder and head room are probably sufficient but leg room might be limited.
I went with the 6 seat config so you have room to stretch those legs (in the rare event that I need to carry 5 or 6 people...

Leg room is limited. I went to the event as well and sat in Elon's car. I thought it was pretty much for kids only. Head was fine Leg wise it was pretty cramped in my opinion. I got the 6 seats option so hopefully it gives you a bit more room in the middle there to make it a bit more usable for adults. Haven't seen a 6 seater in person yet though only 7...

I went with the 7 seat. Even though I'm 6ft9in and 420lbs, most of the time, if I have 7 people I'll usually have at least 2-3 girls who are around 5ft0in-5ft5in and they'll fit easily in the 3rd row.

Very rarely will I have 6 passengers who are big and tall

I went with the 7 seat. Even though I'm 6ft9in and 420lbs, most of the time, if I have 7 people I'll usually have at least 2-3 girls who are around 5ft0in-5ft5in and they'll fit easily in the 3rd row.

Very rarely will I have 6 passengers who are big and tall

its a good point. For some reason, I have always felt like I want to be able to sit comfortably in every seat of my car (I'm 6'2") simply because I know what it's like to be subjected to cramped seating.

However, my current life situation happens to be that if I got the 6 seater, I'd have a child seat in the two 2nd row seats, so all if have left for any adult passengers would be the 3rd row.

its a good point. For some reason, I have always felt like I want to be able to sit comfortably in every seat of my car (I'm 6'2") simply because I know what it's like to be subjected to cramped seating.

However, my current life situation happens to be that if I got the 6 seater, I'd have a child seat in the two 2nd row seats, so all if have left for any adult passengers would be the 3rd row.

Being my size it's very unlikely that I can even fit into most of the seats in my car, hence don't care anymore haha.

I feel like the 6 seat would be great if I had a dog, but I really see no point in losing the extra seat. There's always someone small who would prefer to squeeze in than take 2 cars. Haha

I would find a picture of how that middle seat looks when there are two child seats in the outer ones. Depending on whether you're talking about boosters or full size Britax behemoths, I'm guessing your adult guests will choose the back row anyway. Well, unless it's a grandparent or someone who really wants to be between the kids.

I would find a picture of how that middle seat looks when there are two child seats in the outer ones. Depending on whether you're talking about boosters or full size Britax behemoths, I'm guessing your adult guests will choose the back row anyway. Well, unless it's a grandparent or someone who really wants to be between the kids.

Saw a local sigX and the access to the third row is so good I'm thinking about putting my 4 yr old and 2 yr old back there into car seats. Then our new born and mommy can be in the middle row together. I guess the point is - this is the first 3 row SUV that allows enough accessibility that you can stuff kids into the third row with cars seats regularly and it not be an issue. Then adults, big or small don't have to be in the third row. Currently, we have an Expedition EL and no way I'd put kid needing car seats in the 3rd row regularly. Too difficult.

I had the chance to sit in a sig X today and I personally thought the third row was tight. I'm 5'9 and 165 lbs. the middle seat in the second row made me feel claustrophobic. Like some of the others mentioned, it's okay for short rides or children.

image.jpeg

Thanks for the quick reply!

Im also thinking 6-seat so that's good to know. Since you can slide the 2nd row forward, is the legroom issue solvable by doing that and "sharing" the legroom between 2nd and 3rd rows? Or is there just not that much space to go around for both 2nd and 3rd row passengers to have ample space?

where I'm coming from is - I'm still debating whether to go with CPO model S with jump seats. My kids are 2 and 4 so they could use those rear facing seats for a good 5+ years. My thinking is, if the Model X 3rd row is really only comfortable for kids anyway, maybe there's not a hugely compelling reason to make the jump to the X? But, if the Model X 3rd row is a legit 3rd row, that yo wouldn't mind putting grandpa in, then that starts to get compelling.

I have the jump seats in my S and can guarantee your kids will be more comfortable in an X. The S jump seats are fun for short trips, but on longer drives:
- the back area gets very hot even with tinting, and there is no A/C outlet or ventilation (I bought a couple of battery powered fans but they don't really cut it, pre cooling and opening windows is better)
- they face backwards which can make some kids carsick
- they are a lot more isolated from the rest of the car - hard to pass snacks, etc or even talk sometimes
- they will grow out of them around age 10
- you can never put adults in them, even for short trips.

I have the jump seats in my S and can guarantee your kids will be more comfortable in an X. The S jump seats are fun for short trips, but on longer drives:
- the back area gets very hot even with tinting, and there is no A/C outlet or ventilation (I bought a couple of battery powered fans but they don't really cut it, pre cooling and opening windows is better)
- they face backwards which can make some kids carsick
- they are a lot more isolated from the rest of the car - hard to pass snacks, etc or even talk sometimes
- they will grow out of them around age 10
- you can never put adults in them, even for short trips.

Agreed about all of the negative points about the S jump seats. My kids (10 and 7) refuse to ride in them any more unless there's absolutely no other choice (luckily, the S belongs to my parents, not me, or else I'd be particularly sad). We also tried the battery operated fans and found them lacking.

I'm 6'2", and I recently got a chance to sit in various seats of the Sig Model X (thanks Joel!). Here are my assessments:
1. Front seats were very comfortable and roomy feeling, much more so than the S. (On test drives, I found the S without panoramic roof didn't have enough head room, and with the panoramic roof had enough head room but was not spacious feeling.)
2. Middle row: seat was comfortable, enough leg room but not necessarily tons of leg room, not enough head room in the middle seat. I think both of the side seats would have enough head room, but I didn't get to sit in those because of installed child seats.
3. Third row: felt cramped, both for leg room and for head room. Might be able to fix the leg room by moving the middle seats farther forward--I'm not sure. It would be fine for a short trip, but for longer than 15 minutes or so, you'd want smaller people in the back (kids or small adults should both be fine). Comparable to the back seats in the S (not the rear-facing seats, but the ordinary second row back seats.) My kids loved the third row.

Overall, our assessment from looking at it was that we should configure and order our reserved X, which we did yesterday. :)

Thanks all for the great feedback! Especially on the model S rear facing seats

I have read the negative feedback on rear facing seats in other threads. And honestly, for my trips to/from preschool, I always drive away from the sun. Which is one reason I've been especially nervous about the rear facing seats. The sun would pretty much be beating down on the kids the whole time.