Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strangest Parking Lot Question Ever

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lanny

Nov 29, 2011
MD
A fellow approached me in a parking lot today.

Him: Do you mind if I ask what kind of car is that?
Me: It’s a Tesla Model S

Him: This is going to sound like a strange question but can that car drive itself?
Me: Yeah, it drives itself with something called Autopilot.

Him: Oh good, I thought I was going crazy. I was beside one of those cars the other day and a guy was in the passenger seat and I couldn’t believe my eyes.
Me: Whoa whoa, It doesn’t really work like that, I mean you gotta be in the driver’s seat...

Him: Well, there was only one guy in the car and he was in the passenger seat, no driver.
Me: Are you sure?

Him: Yeah, it was on I-295 and I remembered the logo on the back and I just noticed that you have the same kind of car. What’s it called again?
Me: Tesla.

I was just flabbergasted.

The scenario is unlikely but oddly plausible given that it was a Tesla.

Sadly, I'm not surprised that someone was using the AP features without being in the driver's seat. I remember seeing some of the youtubes posts linked here. I hope there isn't a major accident caused while AP on with no driver in the driver seat. If that happens, Autopilot would be pulled from everyone instantly.

That was kind of what I was thinking (but without Mr. Musk). Maybe some next generation test vehicle with backup controls on the passenger side.

Or maybe someone brought their right hand drive car over from the UK.

It could be that Tesla is testing driving controllers for disabled. Model S is completely computer controlled, so developing a small controller to drive the car should be an easy task. The driver on the right seat was actually driving with the micro controller on his laps! :)

Another possibility might be that it was a right-hand drive vehicle and that the driver was driving from the "passenger" side.

That's what went through my mind. Every time I'm in New Zealand or Australia it looks like the cars are driving themselves with no passengers. I just had some visitors from Australia over the holidays and they instinctively went to the driver's door, like I do as a passenger when visiting them. It always gives us a chuckle.

Could be but there aren't any countries which drive on the left close to the USA. I checked and was surprised Canada isn't on the left bearing in mind it was an ex-colony.

Maybe a Tesla test vehicle testing that some new feature works on a RHD vehicle. They are after all all made in the same factory even if some final assembly is done in Europe for European cars. Australian and Japanese cars are fully assembled in California.

I would have thought test vehicles would primarily be in California near Tesla HQ or unique environments (e.g. extreme temperature environments). I don't imagine the DMV road conditions to be that much different to test never before seen AP tech. Still possible though.