Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV cars just got more expensive in BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the market for a Tesla and the combination of the CND dollar plunging (rumour is Tesla will adjust their CND prices up in February), EV credit gone, and add on the 15% luxury tax and poor financing rates it is getting to be expensive.
If the government simply decided to forego the incremental luxury tax on EV's that would be a big help. I for one found it rather insulting that my purchase was taxed the same way as if I'd bought a Ferrari or Aston Martin. Charging tax on our good intentions that actually further the government's lip service on addressing climate change isn't reasonable.

For that matter, they could scrap the rebate program and simply not charge PST on EV's... period. Then your savings would be proportional to your expenditure.

What makes you say that? The last time the fund was depleted, it wasn't topped up for about two years. In fact, it took a new budget to bring in the extra funds.
Just a rumor I heard. Wondering if they'll wait to announce something at the Vancouver Auto Show in March. But I can't imagine the 366k remaining would last, would be nice if they are really going to fund it that they do it sooner so Tesla and the other dealers can show the incentive is active rather than this case by case basis.

If the government simply decided to forego the incremental luxury tax on EV's that would be a big help.

Not sure if it is a federal or provincial thing, but I was a bit miffed at having to pay the Air Conditioning tax here in Ontario. It was originally put in place as a kind of gas tax on the assumption that a/c equipped vehicles use more gasoline. Obviously doesn't apply to an EV, but there was no budging on it.

This bodes well!
Energy Minister Bill Bennett says the government is considering a second expansion of British Columbia's incentive programs for electric car buyers.

"I have certainly reported to government the Clean Energy Vehicle Program has been incredibly successful," said Bennett. "A three-year funding amount has been used up in less than a year. It shows to me the public is really keen on doing this."

The incentives in last year's program included $7.5 million in rebates for electric vehicle purchases, with the remaining money to be spent on infrastructure to charge vehicles and research.

Bennett said a third phase would mirror the first two.
"The largest amount would go to incentives and the smaller amounts would go to charging infrastructure," he added.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-electric-car-incentives-1.3414713?platform=hootsuite

Anyone know how long it is possible to delay an order? For example, if I place an order on February 7th before the Tesla price increase how far can it be pushed back to deliver (3-4 months?) to increase the chances of the clean energy vehicle program coming back before delivery.

Thanks Paul!

And thanks for posting the article on the BC CEV. I've been following that story myself. Unfortunately, I did come across an article (sorry, I can't find the link right now) where Bill Bennett mentioned he might tweak the incentive portion of the program to exclude more expensive vehicles. :(

It would be great if the government would instead follow the advice of the Vancouver Electric Vehicle Association to support the incentive, exclude EV buyers from having to pay the luxury tax, and let EV's onto HOV lanes among other things.

EV Supporters Write Open Letter to BC Premier Clark VEVA

An additional incentive from the new federal government would be sweet too!

Anyway, my Model S purchase is on hold for now as I wait for approval from my strata to install a source of electricity at my parking stall and as I foot the bill for my upcoming wedding!

Welcome Gary. You might want to call up the Vancouver store to see what inventory vehicles they have in stock and if something checks all or most of your boxes on your options list, you can be in a Model S in a few days and take advantage of the CEV incentive before it runs out. Inventory cars can have a few hundred to a few thousand kilometers on them with further discounts based on mileage and qualify for the incentive. Just a suggestion if you are open to colours and options.

Thanks Paul!

And thanks for posting the article on the BC CEV. I've been following that story myself. Unfortunately, I did come across an article (sorry, I can't find the link right now) where Bill Bennett mentioned he might tweak the incentive portion of the program to exclude more expensive vehicles. :(

It would be great if the government would instead follow the advice of the Vancouver Electric Vehicle Association to support the incentive, exclude EV buyers from having to pay the luxury tax, and let EV's onto HOV lanes among other things.

EV Supporters Write Open Letter to BC Premier Clark VEVA

An additional incentive from the new federal government would be sweet too!

Anyway, my Model S purchase is on hold for now as I wait for approval from my strata to install a source of electricity at my parking stall and as I foot the bill for my upcoming wedding!

Yes I couldn't agree more. And we can all help! VEVA just sent this out to members. Would be great to see members contributing on what they should focus on.

One of the most important events for EVs in BC is happening right now. Government policy for EVs will be guided for years by the final report of the Climate Leadership Plan. They've asked for our input.

You probably joined VEVA because you wanted to promote the adoption of EVs. Now is your chance. Here's what you can do:
1. Visit the Climate Leadership page
2. Review VEVA's earlier submission
3. Fill out the online survey
4. Send additional input to [email protected]
5. Contact your MLA and let them know that EVs are key for hitting BC's climate change targets
6. Use your Twitter, Facebook and other social media accounts to tell your friends, family and the world to also do all of the above
At approximately 37%, transportation is the province’s largest source of emissions. EVs can be extremely helpful for meeting BC's emission targets. At the same time, EVs make economic sense because they are efficient, they improve air quality, and they have lifestyle benefits.

Does the government really want our input? Well, keep in mind that this is a government that learned something about the importance of public consultation from the GST issue not long ago. There is a will to act on climate change now and the government is listening.. The actions of all of us, right now, matter.