Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minor Summon Collision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just let my car park itself in my garage the exact same way I have over the last week+, but this time it did not detect a small refrigerator that I have stored in the garage, and it ran into it. Not hard mind you, and I don't think I can see any marks or scratches, but really odd that the sonar did not seem to detect it. I have not changed any settings in the UI, and nothing has been moved in the garage, so not really sure what caused the hiccup. Guess I'll just have to keep a closer eye on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0616.JPG
    IMG_0616.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0618.JPG
    IMG_0618.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_061522.jpg
    IMG_061522.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 171
Last edited:
I've noticed that with the new update, auto park doesn't seem to steer the car as much to avoid obstacles. I was in a narrow space and had the car pull out for me from a parking spot like a corner of the L. The cars on the other side of the L we're perpendicular with a particularly large truck sticking out. I thought the car would swerve away from the truck, but it kept backing out finally shutting it self down when it was pasta the truck but only a 2 inch gap from the side of the car to the trunks bumper....strange

Interesting, I was manually backing into our garage and noticed that the distance measurement wasn't reading the space immediately behind the car until after I'd stopped it.

I'm going to clean off the sensors, they aren't particularly dirty, but I don't know what else it might be.

Just a point of clarification: you are referring to Auto-SUMMON, not Auto-PARK. Unless your garage has two cars separated by a place you park your Model S. :)

You may wish to update the title of the thread to reflect this. There are trolls looking for problems with any of the Autopilot functions that would trot this out, at least as titled.

Just a point of clarification: you are referring to Auto-SUMMON, not Auto-PARK. Unless your garage has two cars separated by a place you park your Model S. :)

You may wish to update the title of the thread to reflect this. There are trolls looking for problems with any of the Autopilot functions that would trot this out, at least as titled.

Noted, and changed.

- - - Updated - - -

I would assume that you do have the "detect small objects" box checked?

Can't say I've seen that option in the current software.

So I just let my car park itself in my garage the exact same way I have over the last week+, but this time it did not detect a small refrigerator that I have stored in the garage, and it ran into it. Not hard mind you, and I don't think I can see any marks or scratches, but really odd that the sonar did not seem to detect it. I have not changed any settings in the UI, and nothing has been moved in the garage, so not really sure what caused the hiccup. Guess I'll just have to keep a closer eye on it.

Sorry about the hiccup -- but I really need to ask how someone with an EV has at least 6 gas cans in his garage. You can't store electrons in those things.

to my knowledge, there's no AUTOPARK in your garage, as of yet. That would be SUMMON (Accio, as my HP gen calls it) which is supposed to stop when you tell it to. .

As mentioned above it was indeed "summon" parking the car. It is supposed to stop the preset distance from objects, yet for some unknown reason, it did not stop this time until it came in contact with the object.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry about the hiccup -- but I really need to ask how someone with an EV has at least 6 gas cans in his garage. You can't store electrons in those things.

LOL. Lots of other toys and tools. Diesel cans won't go away until Tesla builds me a large ZTR mower that can mow my 3 acre lawn on a single charge. :biggrin:

Someone on the FB Model X page said he got his X to autopark in reverse and perpendicular. I know this is not yet part of summon (or antisummon as I call the go park yourself feature) yet. I would love it if someone could shoot a video of perpendicular reverse park into a single car garage spot, either for an S, or preferably an X) shot from outside showing how the car handles a relatively tight turn into a garage on the side of a house with fixed obstacles on the far side of the driveway. Pretty please?