Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manteca, CA to Mamoth Lakes, CA (new)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a Model S 70D and just received notice of a new Supercharger opened at Mammoth Lakes, CA. I was wondering if I charged to 90% (216 rated range) in Manteca, CA if I can make it there. TESLARATI.com calculates 185 miles which would be 85% efficient using entire charge. Of course this is not a winter trip and I have no idea how altitude up-grades and down-grades affect efficiency. When Tesla decides to put in a Supercharging Station (SC) there must be some idea of accessibility, SC to SC, for different model cars. I rarely would charge beyond 90% because of the time required to get there but I HATE range anxiety!

I have driven across country, San Francisco to Cheyenne, WY and eastward to northern Wisconsin so I am pretty comfortable traveling the SC routes and using KOA campgrounds as filler locations. I want to do more CA day trips but want the convenience of SC routes. I am seeking knowledgeable suggestions and figure this is good place to start. I can't see anywhere Tesla provides travel advice regarding SC to SC travel.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Manteca to Mamoth Lakes.png

Well, your first issue will be the giant ROAD CLOSED FOR WINTER sign on Highway 120 in Yosemite. You'll have to take Highway 50 to 89 (South Lake Tahoe) to 395 then south to Mammoth. This is actually a good plan because you can supercharge in Folsom and Gardnerville, giving you a larger buffer for weather.

• Funny
Reactions: newtman
There is also a HPWC in Groveland on SR120 for your summer jaunt across Tioga Road. I would think that a lunch stop for a little over an hour would add 30+ miles of range and likely get you to the summit. It is all downhill from Tioga Pass (~9900 feet) to Lee Vining (6800 feet) then slight elevation gain to Deadman Summit before descending down to the junction with SR203.

You will be gaining nearly 10,000 feet in elevation over a long, gradual incline to Tioga Pass before descending only 3,200 feet over about 15 miles or so (if my memory recalls the distance correctly.)

There is a rumor that the Whoa Nellie Deli at the north junction of US395 and SR120 will be getting a HPWC too this spring. However, this is not installed as yet, and there has been no confirmation to date.

Another rule of thumb if you will need an intermediate Level 2 (L2) charge to make it to your destination or to the next Supercharger, is to charge at the Supercharger until the taper takes the charging current down to half of the current available at the L2 in your future.

If the L2 is an HPWC with 80 Amps available and you have dual chargers, then when the Supercharger current tapers down to 40 Amps, it's faster to get the rest of the charge at the L2 ahead. If you only have a single charger that is limited to 40 Amps, then the rough optimum time to leave the Supercharger is 20 Amps, and if it's a 30 Amp L2 ahead, leave the Supercharger at 15 Amps.

All of the above thresholds are approximate optimum times, but it's a very broad, flat optimum in terms of minimizing your total charging time. Just get close to those targets, and you are doing well. All of those target currents for leaving the Supercharger will be well past 90%, and more like 97-99%.

There's an HPWC at the Ahwanhee in Yosemite Valley, it's available for public use.

That is about a 35-mile trip (total) that is off the direct route that heads east across Tioga Road at Crane Flat, before you descend into the Valley.

There is a Supercharger in permitting slated for Groveland. It is anyone's guess when the project will be completed.

That is about a 35-mile trip (total) that is off the direct route that heads east across Tioga Road at Crane Flat, before you descend into the Valley.

There is a Supercharger in permitting slated for Groveland. It is anyone's guess when the project will be completed.

It's also one of the most beautiful detours in the world. Drive down into the valley, drop off the car to charge, grab lunch and go on a walk behind the hotel. Beats any SC I've seen :)

I knew about the HPWC at the Ahwahnee. That'd be my ideal situation, beautiful drive and top off there.

However, I'm worried about it being in use and I need to make the drive in one day. I'm wondering if one of the destination chargers along the way (Groveland?) might be a better choice

It's also one of the most beautiful detours in the world. Drive down into the valley, drop off the car to charge, grab lunch and go on a walk behind the hotel. Beats any SC I've seen :)
If you're looking for a full(ish) charge, you could even make your way to Mirror Lake from the HPWC. It's not a short hike, but it's not long, either. But it's so worth it.

More detail on the " HPWC in Groveland on SR120" would be appreciated.
It is at the Groveland Hotel. Anyone can use it, just ask at the office. Last year hey charged me something like $10 to plug in for less than 2 hours (I was not a hotel guest). I will be staying there overnight later this month on my way to the Tuolumne Meadows Lodge tent camp for a 4 day stay. Want to arrive at Tuolumne with lots of mlies because the car will sit for 4 days.

It is listed on Plugshare.

Reactions: newtman
Has anyone made the trip recently in a 85D? I'm leaving for Mammoth tomorrow and I would like to fill up to 100% in Manteca and not stop to top off.

It seems like it should be doable, but I'm not sure how much of a range hit the elevation change will have.

Has anyone made the trip recently in a 85D? I'm leaving for Mammoth tomorrow and I would like to fill up to 100% in Manteca and not stop to top off.

It seems like it should be doable, but I'm not sure how much of a range hit the elevation change will have.

We did it in a 90D two weeks ago, and didn't run into any issues. With an 85D it'd probably be worth topping off in Groveland while you get lunch, just for peace of mind.