Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

lease rates lowered?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got an email this morning from Tesla announcing lower lease rates on the S. Looks like the base 70 RWD starts at $698. Even with some decent options and dual motors it's well under $1k. My question is has anyone been tracking the lease payments and how much of a change is this if any?

Wonder what the residual is? I assume they raised it to make these more attractive. Porsche and BMW do this on occasion. It also means no one will will buy out their lease at the end of the term and the finance company (Tesla or ?) will be receiving a lot of cars off-lease that have a lower real world value. It might also mean you can negotiate your lease buy-out to a lower amount if the market conditions are right.
It’ll cost you $33779 to drive the car 30K miles for 36 months in CA. More than a $1 per mile. Considering the CPO cars have depreciated at about $1/per mile… seems comparable?
– $698 x 36 = $25128 Base monthly
– $698 x 0.9 = $64 x 36 = $2300 (9% Tax in CA)
– $6393 = $177 per month Drive off
Total = ~ $33821/36 = $939 per month

I received the same e-mail today and I have been tracking their lease payments but I really see no appreciable difference. It still remains less expensive to lease a comparably priced S Class so as far as I can see the Tesla leases are still higher than a comparably priced premium car. Also what kills the Tesla lease deal to a great extent is the very large amount down at the beginning of the lease so if you have a total loss 3 months into your lease, you are screwed.

Interestingly enough, the lease calculator on Tesla's website was almost spot on with my lease payment when we bought ours last November. I just re-ran my numbers and it came out to be $75 cheaper per month now, which isn't huge but it isn't nothing either...

Jeff

I personally would never want to be stuck in a lease with any car, especially a car like a Tesla that changes frequently.

Interesting spin. I never leased a vehicle before in my life, but I leased the Tesla precisely BECAUSE it changes so frequently. I figured I can give it back in 3 years (or sooner) and get another new one. You do know that Tesla will be happy to end your lease early if you want something newer.

Here are the specs for the Model 70 Lease ...
Model 70 Lease.PNG

I'm due to take delivery tomorrow on a 70D (but probably won't because of the weather here in NC)... but I wrote to ask about lease payments (thanks to this thread) and they're down from what I was original quoted by $59/mo - 15k miles. Happy!

Did anyone find the payments for going over the mile limit at the end of the lease?
I did the numbers comparing 10k miles and 15k miles on the lease and the difference was 11.4 ct per mile. But I would assume going over the limit costs more per mile.