Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change in name for grey wheels: now called Onyx Black wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

spleen

Supporting Member
Jul 7, 2012
Honolulu, HI
Got an email from Tesla today about the 22 inch grey wheels we had ordered.

"We have updated the name of the wheels on your Model X order from ‘22” Carbon Turbine Wheels’ to ‘22” Onyx Black Wheels’.

The change is only to the naming of the wheel. The pricing, design and color remain the same.

To ensure your wheel option is correctly noted in all your documentation, you will see a new Order Agreement in your MyTesla Account soon. No further action is required on your part."

The design document online at My Tesla for our 90D already reflects the new name.

Got same message. If grey (as ordered) = carbon (as in contract) = Onyx Black, then all is OK, but I'm still concerned about a possible disconnect between grey and carbon and that I will get black turbine rims on my ordered car. The young service people I talk with try to be helpful, but you get the sense they really don't know. Why on earth would you call a grey rim Onyx Black? That's black. Which I don't want on my Midnight Silver Car. Likely my concerns are not warranted, but...

Will have to see what the wheels look like - suspect that they'll become available on the X parts store in the relatively near future so we can confirm. For now, I'm going by what Tesla said that the color remains the same. I wonder if people were getting confused by the mention of carbon and thought it meant that the wheels were made of carbon fiber?

Got same message. If grey (as ordered) = carbon (as in contract) = Onyx Black, then all is OK, but I'm still concerned about a possible disconnect between grey and carbon and that I will get black turbine rims on my ordered car. The young service people I talk with try to be helpful, but you get the sense they really don't know. Why on earth would you call a grey rim Onyx Black? That's black. Which I don't want on my Midnight Silver Car. Likely my concerns are not warranted, but...
May I ask where you got the idea that carbon is gray?

The wheels in the configurator have always looked to me to be black.

I was at my SC yesterday and they had 5 P90DL's prepping/detailing. The wheels are darker than my new MS 21" gray wheels, would I call them black, yes. If you don't want black, I would be happy to do a swap :)

Edit, so taking a look at the photos I took, the one with Onyx wheels is blocked -_-..

~

Attachments

• IMG_0281.JPG
    IMG_0281.JPG
    298 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0285.JPG
    IMG_0285.JPG
    285 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
I was at my SC yesterday and they had 5 P90DL's prepping/detailing. The wheels are darker than my new MS 21" gray wheels, would I call them black, yes. If you don't want black, I would be happy to do a swap :)

Edit, so taking a look at the photos I took, the one with Onyx wheels is blocked -_-..

~

I'm not sure how the ones you have pointed out could possibly have the Onyx wheels. They are clearly Signatures (in Signature Red), and the Onyx wheels are not available for Signature orders.

IMG_4051.jpg
IMG_4100 (1).jpg
The whole-car photo is how my car looked when ordering the "gray" wheels. The other photo is one from the internet, which could be anything, including what Tesla now calls "Onyx Black". I would not be surprised if Tesla has changed real specs to black wheels, or that the photo in the MX configurator had the wrong wheels. Quite possible the car shows up (in May/June?) with wheels I never ordered.

The whole-car photo is how my car looked when ordering the "gray" wheels. The other photo is one from the internet, which could be anything, including what Tesla now calls "Onyx Black". I would not be surprised if Tesla has changed real specs to black wheels, or that the photo in the MX configurator had the wrong wheels. Quite possible the car shows up (in May/June?) with wheels I never ordered.
The bottom wheels do not appear to be OEM Tesla wheels and may be T Sportline Tesla Aftermarket Wheel 20x9.0 20x10.0 (even though it says Pre-order these could be a different size or early samples). If you look closely, the spokes are angled in the opposite direction than the Tesla OEM 22" wheels.

The wheels in the photo are of Elon's X from the day of the reveal and are 21" in diameter. Best guesses are that they are repainted S wheels.

I agree that the side view from the configurator look to be more on the gray side, but the 3/4 front and rear configurator shots make them look black to me.

I'll also admit that the word "carbon" isn't very descriptive, which is probably why they changed it. Maybe my expectations are different though because when I think of "carbon" I think of all the carbon fiber bicycles and parts that I see and they are most definitely black (unless painter other colors).

The configurator wheels looked more dark grey than black in my view but agree that in some other views (like the rear), they did look more like black. Personally would have preferred dark grey more than black but in all reality, would be OK with either.