Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i6 Crossover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The more, the merrier. BMW is taking their sweet time about it though - mid 2020? One of the "benefits" of their carbon structure is that it's supposed to be fast to develop - much, much less production tooling required because of a radically lower parts count for the BIW. Not seeing much of that on this timeline though!

I'm guessing this is a typo or other error (emphasis mine):
BMW execs are said to favor a new lithium-polymer battery, which is reportedly capable of tripling the energy capacity to about 500kWh, while cutting costs in half. This technology, which is supported by key suppliers like Bosch, reduces the weight of the battery pack required for a real-world driving range of 300 miles from 600 to 200kg.
The i3's battery capacity is apparently 22kWh with just under 19kWh usable. Triple that is ~60kWh, which seems low for a range of 300 "real-world" miles, although I guess it could be possible with significant weight reduction. Maybe they meant triple the energy density, since the next sentence mentions weight reduction. 200kg seems very light compared to Tesla's battery (1200lbs? ~= 544kg), but I guess that makes sense if they meant they're tripling energy density. A hypothetical 600kg Tesla battery would have a range of (85kWh x 600/544) = ~94kWh, which I could see being rated at 300 miles EPA.

Regardless, 500kWh makes no sense in this context. If accurate, it would be >5x any current production EV battery's capacity, and it would completely revolutionize EVs, providing a range of >1000 miles.

Better late than never. But let's see them ship it before we rejoice. The numbers in the article don't add up at all. They would probably need around 100 kWh of batteri to do a 300 mile range on an SUV. If somebody had a volume production battery with 3 times the energy density of the panasonic cells it would turn the world upside down and make said company rich beyond their wildest dreams.

Does that design remind anybody else of this?

Predator-Face.jpg