Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla parting ways with Mobileye? Evidence or pure rumor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elsewhere on TMC is a thread I can't find now in which someone says something to the effect of "We know Tesla is not using Mobileye for the next generation of Autopilot."

Is there some news I missed or is this just pure speculation with no evidence?

Funny - MBLY is down A LOT from a few weeks ago -- it was up over $40/share, now it's down to $27, and I was thinking that's a good buying opportunity.

But if Tesla is dropping Mobileye completely, that's something big (but I doubt it's actually true), and I might hold off on buying some.

Funny - MBLY is down A LOT from a few weeks ago -- it was up over $40/share, now it's down to $27, and I was thinking that's a good buying opportunity.

But if Tesla is dropping Mobileye completely, that's something big (but I doubt it's actually true), and I might hold off on buying some.

In terms of mapping Mobileye will still have the major advantage. Deals with both GM, VW and will be adding a third major company soon. Their cameras and sensors will be in over 270 models this year providing data(which they will eventually monetize).

Last edited:

The only reason I can see them dropping that partnership was if mobile eye wasnt moving fast enough for them.

Problem for Tesla, and others, is that it is hard to differentiate and innovate if everyone gets their hardware and software from the same vendor. On the other hand, doing so is less risky, probably safer and lowers liability.