Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Living with Falcon Wing Doors - Thumbs up, down, or both?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How are people liking their FW doors? Seems some speculation that the true importance of putting these doors on the X is it is a trial run to see if they're worthy for future high volume car - as the only door?

Personally I'm excited by the idea of a Model 3 crossover or sedan with falcon doors, and might even wait if they aren't on the first vehicle. But it would be nice to hear the plusses and minuses of living with these doors on the X, and what current owners think of the idea of not having a "normal" door for the front seats.

I would love to hear as well. I am on the other side of the coin and if the X didn't have the falcons I would of finalized my order yesterday. I don't have small children and have no need for them. I'd rather just open and close the doors normally and not have to wait on a motor. Would be cool if they had a version without.

Several people have posted elsewhere on their experiences with the falcon doors, overall sentiment from owners where initial issues with door sensor calibration were non-existent or resolved seems quite positive. Especially for people with large dogs, pawdicapped dogs, etc.

I've seen one report of water flowing into the cabin when opening the falcon doors but another report of no issues with water encroachment. If I were to guess, I'd say the person who had an issue had their rear hatch open at the same time which the manual clearly says is going to cause water flow through the doors in rain because the water flows downhill off the rear hatch and into the open roof of the falcon door.

Peter+

I guess that parking the X with nose downhill and then open the doors in the rain will certainly bring you a great shower experience...[emoji848]
If you look at the Model X from the side you see that it would need to be really much tilt to make the water get in that direction(about 30° maybe?)
image.jpeg

I love the doors...And they actually provide very good cover from the rain when you stand under them and they offer great access to the middle and 3rd row seats and storage. Like others mentioned, you can open them remotely by the fob, manually by pressing on the outside handle or by pulling a little pull handle mounted on the inside piller....and of course thru the touch screen. Similarly, you can close them with all these methods and by pressing a button mounted on the lower back edge of the door. My only complaint is that the door sensors to prevent contact with other things seem overly sensitive and intermittently show false positives. I've brought this to Teslas attention they are looking into it. Perhaps they have the sensors set very conservatively while they collect data to drive to the optimum settings. In any case...its just a little inconvinience as when it does occur, you can continue to manually open the doors with the inner pull handle. Oh....And the WOW factors of the doors is surely a crowd pleaser : ) Hope this helps

Several people have posted elsewhere on their experiences with the falcon doors, overall sentiment from owners where initial issues with door sensor calibration were non-existent or resolved seems quite positive. Especially for people with large dogs, pawdicapped dogs, etc.

I've seen one report of water flowing into the cabin when opening the falcon doors but another report of no issues with water encroachment. If I were to guess, I'd say the person who had an issue had their rear hatch open at the same time which the manual clearly says is going to cause water flow through the doors in rain because the water flows downhill off the rear hatch and into the open roof of the falcon door.

Peter+

Water collects on the center channel of the glass roof. In a situation where the passenger side is lower than the driver's side (or vice versa), and the passenger side falcon wing is opened, the center seat passenger (or the floor in the 6-seat config) will get a tablespoon or so of water dripping down when the door opens. It's preventable - a tall driver can get out and wipe away the water prior to opening the falcon wings, or the door on the lower side can be left closed. Longer-term Tesla might be able to "reverse bevel" or cut channels in the center glass roof piece to solve the problem. Also worth noting that a lot of water gets inside conventional cars with conventional doors getting in and out during rainstorms.

I apologize for violating the forum etiquette of cross posting, but this thread welcomes it; I suppose. I would also me remiss if I did not add that my kids love the Falcon Wing Doors. Here is what I wrote in two other threads:

Another positive point from my delivery, two day experience: Falcon Wing Doors. There was justifiably much talk and speculation surrounding the Falcon Wing Doors: Many questioned the timing of opening/closing, whether it was a gimmick vs. a practical feature. Others questioned how they would operate in inclement weather. My expectations were very low. I thought the Falcon Wing Doors looked cool and probably would not add much utility and would need service out of the gate.

I was wrong.

The last two days in Michigan have been very cold (ranging from 13 degrees to 34 degrees), windy, and slight rain. I have two young daughters (10 months and 4 years old) and found the convenience of the Falcon Wing Doors to be invaluable. My wife and I ran errands today, and the FWDs made getting the girls in and out of the car easier than we could have imagined. It was simply awesome to have unobstructed clearance getting our 10 month old in and out of the rear facing seat (open the FWD, unlatch the car seat, remove the car seat - no small opening to awkwardly maneuver). As mentioned before, the weather was undesirable (cold, windy, rain, snow flurries, etc.), and the time for the Falcon Wing Doors to open and close was fast: if the driver manually closes the door from the outside, or if the passenger closes the door on the inside, there was no time wasted waiting for the doors to close (no one was unnecessarily exposed to the harsh elements any more so than in any other automobile). I found the timing a non-issue.

If memory serves, we opened both doors 20 times today in tight parking spaces or in our garage (which is a pretty tight fit), and the FWD worked flawlessly. With that said, I know there is a contigent of people that will attempt to crush their hands, feet, and whatever body part they are willing to put in harms way because "hey, these are Falcon Wing Doors and we must prove that Tesla can not engineer every imaginable scenario." Well, that contingent is correct. Historically, I never placed my hand(s) inside a car as the doors were closing or stood as close to a car door when someone exited the vehicle. And I did not start with my Model X. Yes, there is potential for doors to pinch hands or the FWD to hit someone, but the probablity is much lower in an X than any other automobile because of the X warning beep, and the X door sensors. Tesla currently has the door sensor sensitivity high to err on the side of caution. If you approach a falcon wing door like any other door, it works as advertised. If you are willing to stand in the same position to open a FWD as you would any other door, there will be no problem.

I am now a strong advocate for Falcon Wing Doors, and I welcome Tesla to have FWD on the Model Y.

---------------

My 6 days worth of experience:

I find the falcon wing doors extraordinarily useful. I thought they'd be a gimmick, but I was wrong. They are very useful for me - I have two daughters: a 10 month old and a 4 year old. Previously, I could not get the kids out of my Model S if both cars were parked in our two car garage. I would take the kids out of my Model S prior to entering the garage. Now, I can enter the garage and take the kids out of the car (very useful in the winter and when it rains). I also find getting the kids in and out of the car (anywhere) to be a breeze - the amount of space for entering and exiting the Model X is awesome. The weather in Michigan the last six days has been well below freezing (anywhere from 10 degrees to 30 degrees), snow flurries, and high winds. The doors do not close or open slower than any traditional doors. And as noted by others, you can open or close the doors in advance with the key fob.

Overall, the Model X has exceeded my expectations (I have not experienced any notable "fit and finish" issues), but I do believe the delays caused by the FWDs and their necessity (coupled with the "artisan" 2nd row seats) are worthy of discussion (and criticism) for Tesla's long-term goal(s). Now that the Model X is here (for a few hundred owners at least), and the FWD are part of the design, I would purchase the Model X again. Minimally, the 2016 and 2017 sales numbers will ultimately answer these larger questions.

It would be interesting to know the breakdown of features-to-time causing the delay: FWD, artisan seats, etc.

------------------------

My short-term, inclement weather feedback: Falcon Wing Doors are tremendously valuable, and I'm glad I have them. I would purchase another Model X or a Model Y with Falcon Wing Doors.

Two thumbs up. 11 out of 10.

What about snow? I guess a few Model X are delivered in NY (and other areas with snow). I would really like to know how the X handles snow and weather well below 0 degrees Celsius (32 Fahrenheit?)

For the record, you have to clear the doors on a normal car as well, or suffer a rain of snow into the car. In this case you just might have to actually do the right, proper, and *safe* thing and clear the roof as well (since the door part goes up to the middle of the roof.) Seriously, I don't understand people who will not take the extra few seconds to clear the roofs of their vehicles. Accidents have been caused and damage to vehicles have occurred because someone doesn't do this, and is driving down the road, snow/ice flies off, and hits a vehicle behind them.

/end rant.

For the record, you have to clear the doors on a normal car as well, or suffer a rain of snow into the car. In this case you just might have to actually do the right, proper, and *safe* thing and clear the roof as well (since the door part goes up to the middle of the roof.) Seriously, I don't understand people who will not take the extra few seconds to clear the roofs of their vehicles. Accidents have been caused and damage to vehicles have occurred because someone doesn't do this, and is driving down the road, snow/ice flies off, and hits a vehicle behind them.

/end rant.

I know this has been mentioned in the way past, but maybe worth mentioning again: It would be cool future feature if they put some defrosting abilities in the roof so one could melt the snow and ice like one does on a windshield while pre warming the car.