Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New in 7.1: Audio muted at every start

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is bizarre. I just complained to Tesla that when I pause the audio in Slacker or USB music files, it always unpauses the audio after the car sits for about 20 minutes. If I play an album on the USB drive, the car starts playing the last song in the album. Many other people have complained about this on other threads. Your car has exactly opposite behavior.

I had complained in the past that when I would get out of the car and "pause or mute" the music (from any source) that as soon as I re-opened the car later the music would begin to blast away at me. This has changed and now when I mute it upon exit, it does stay muted until I un-mute or un-pause it. The only thing odd I find is that sometimes it seems to un-mute by skipping to the beginning of the next song on my USB list, even if I had muted it in the middle of a song.

Not perfect, but, at least I don't get music blasting at me until I really want it to....

It's just broken. The muting is random. The XM radio station gets lost and goes back to a menu. You can't select "Now Playing." When it does mute, unmuting does not work - you need to mute again then unmute.

Don't they ever test this code in a car?

Mine is not "muted", it just deselects any audio input about half the time. I rebooted both the IC & console. Things okay for a few trips, then no audio again. Muting, unmuting, changing fm stations, am, blue tooth to phone, still no audio. Console reboot, audio back for trip home! Need to redownload update?

Mine is not "muted", it just deselects any audio input about half the time.

I've seen this also. I was listening to FM, shut car off and next time the "select source" screen was up, with no audio selected.

As a SW dev I know regressions are the worst. It's one thing that a new feature is buggy, it's much harder explaining to a customer why something that has worked for years suddenly stops working. I feel for the Tesla devs, I'm sure they're being chewed out.

I've seen this also. I was listening to FM, shut car off and next time the "select source" screen was up, with no audio selected.

As a SW dev I know regressions are the worst. It's one thing that a new feature is buggy, it's much harder explaining to a customer why something that has worked for years suddenly stops working. I feel for the Tesla devs, I'm sure they're being chewed out.
And it's not just your own code that can go wrong. Most developers rely upon many third party libraries. These go through "updates" as well. I remember Microsoft releasing buggy "C" libraries many years ago.
"Due to improvements, no longer functional."

I have a slightly different problem (it is now 2022 - perhaps related?) ... whenever I get in the car I want the audio
screen to NOT come up ... until I ask for it. I don't use the audio even half of the times I use the car and it is
annoying to have the car take up space on my screen for the audio I'm NOT using. Yes, I can (and do) swipe it
to the bottom ... why should I ever have to do that if I'm not using the audio?
- Jim in the PNW

I have a slightly different problem (it is now 2022 - perhaps related?) ... whenever I get in the car I want the audio
screen to NOT come up ... until I ask for it. I don't use the audio even half of the times I use the car and it is
annoying to have the car take up space on my screen for the audio I'm NOT using. Yes, I can (and do) swipe it
to the bottom ... why should I ever have to do that if I'm not using the audio?
- Jim in the PNW
Or "why isn't there a setting I can use to change this behavior?" ... - Jim in the PNW