Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where did AM Radio go???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, maybe something changed when I wasn't looking?!

My Sig Model S has AM/FM/XM Satelite BUT, My Sig Model X ONLY has FM/XM Satelite!!! Has AM radio been removed from currently produced Model S's?

Stopped by the Fremont SC and they confirmed "not a bug", AM radio is not supported on Model X!

Hope this won't be a deal breaker for folks!?

Annoying for sure.

Note: Internet Radio still seems to be fully functional!

cheers,

jdiii:confused:

FWIW, I never use AM radio in my Model S, but do listen to AM stations... on TuneIn. The sound quality is so much better and I don't have to worry about the station fading out, static etc.I don't think I'd miss terrestrial AM radio myself.

It's been discussed here and on Facebook, etc. speculation is front motor creates interference for AM, and, quite honestly AM is dead tech, doesn't make sense to continue to support. TuneIn as well as HD radio second streams cover most AM use-cases.

pictures-of-dinosaur-fossils-archeologist.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: jeffaa
The ONLY issue I have with this is most of the major sports teams in the US have their games broadcasted on AM still to this day... Due to ridiculously stupid blackout restrictions those are not currently provided on the TuneIn stream so when the Warriors are playing I can listen to KNBR 680 in my Model S but when I flip to the TuneIn stream, it's nothing but dead air...

Just something to think about before everyone thinks terrestrial AM is dead... :)

Jeff

Agreed on the need for AM. The only reason I go to AM is because of sports broadcasts. I Will need to figure out the Warriors broadcast when I get my X. Saving grace for me is my A's have moved on to the new world and FM radio!! Not so for the Giants fans in the bay area.

It's hilarious how all these apologists say that AM is dead simply because they don't listen to it. Meanwhile, everyone else does...

On a serious note you are right. It's also sad because aren't more rural and local stations AM. Also in weather emergencies or power outages aren't AM stations used to give out warnings to locals?

During the business day in southern california I listen to a traffic and news station now and then. I frequently listen to both college and professional sports on AM radio. I switch back and forth when advertisements come on so it would be hard on Tune in if it is available there. During baseball season I listen to AM baseball broadcasts at home--I usually do not have time to watch on TV but enjoy the AM radio broadcast while I am doing something around the house. AM works fine in my model S. So in the $100,000 model X, I would have to have a portable AM radio in the center counsel.