Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free TACC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I admit it is a selfish thought :)

I think Tesla should free the TACC function in the next release to promote autopilot and to attract more ppl to opt for the tech package. To ppl (like me) who are interested in trying autopilot but hesitate to pay and opt for the package, TACC would be a nice tasting :)

Interesting thought. Tesla's competition only enables their radar cruise control (like TACC) when the optional packages (and therefore hardware) are purchased, so it could become a differentiator.

OTOH, I'm like Hank42. Autosteer in it's current form is more of a gimmick and toy for me -- I know some here LOVE IT, so we don't need to go there, please. I care a lot about the parking sensors and what they provide (which are generally a separate pkg on other brands, but are std on a base MS). I also absolutely 100% will have TACC or it's equivalent radar cruise control, and emergency stop/slow capability in any vehicle I've owned the last several years. So, if I were not a geeky type that likes to see what some of this new tech is capable of and have the $2500 to enable it... would I BUY Autopilot if I were given TACC for free? Probably not.

TACC is by far the best Autopilot "convenience feature." Giving that away for free and charging for the rest would be a bit silly IMO. Why give away the best part?

If you're on the fence about Autopilot in general but like the idea of TACC, pay up and enjoy! You don't have to use autosteer if you don't want to. You can just engage TACC and ignore the rest. IMO it's worth the price of admission by itself. And who knows, you might end up liking the rest too.

Provided that the hardware for autopilot is already there, its really a sweet move to have traffic aware CC. Don't waste the hardware :)
ok, if that's money problem. Would Tesla offer a separate 'function activation' price such that we can only opt for TACC at a cheaper price than the package, say $300 (of course, free would be damn better lol)

Since the hardware is there already and Tesla is in many ways a software company, I think they should give non-AP customers a 30 day free trial option. Put a button on the screen somewhere that lets you "Start your 30 day free trial now!". People without AP could save their free trial for some time they decide to take a road trip or something like that.

Once the trial is up, they could add a button that says "buy now" and they would be charged for the option and have it enabled instantly on the spot.

Reactions: AlanSqB
Since the hardware is there already and Tesla is in many ways a software company, I think they should give non-AP customers a 30 day free trial option. Put a button on the screen somewhere that lets you "Start your 30 day free trial now!". People without AP could save their free trial for some time they decide to take a road trip or something like that.

Once the trial is up, they could add a button that says "buy now" and they would be charged for the option and have it enabled instantly on the spot.
That's a pretty good idea!

Ugh...no.

I can see it now..."your commute this morning has been sponsored by KFC, click here to navigate to your closest neighborhood restaurant"

As an owner of the AP package I would be totally opposed to this since TACC is 90% of it.

With that being said I don't think it's a bad idea to allow a customer a free 30 day trial

Totally understand on it, as people from different position of the issue would have different view due to benefits.
To you, TACC is 90% in AP, but to Tesla, I suppose the R&D cost of TACC is just 10% or even less while investing in auto steering and other autopilot features would be tremendous.

Looks like someone at Tesla was listening... Someone posted this on Facebook...

upload_2016-4-15_22-48-35.png

+1 tomp.
We should have received TACC on the Classic Tesla's, as it has been offered on every car within $50K of my P85 since 2005. Down those lines, I was at a Tesla store today griping to the store manager (during a break in wifely shopping) about how it would be great if Tesla at least provided some sort of Mobileye retrofit options to Pre-AP owners like us -- allowing it to be integrated into the graphics of the car (like every other car company's Mobileye deployment), instead of having that separate Mobileye round display. While not genuine TACC, if the Mobileye senses you getting within a specified distance to a car in front of you, it beeps, vibrates and turns off cruise control, so that's something.