Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging limited to 10A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This night I have charged my car in "Range mode" and have "topped it of". Then I did drive for around 25 Km and wanted to charge it again at a place where I can usually charge with 16A with my spare mobile connector. Now it did not gave me an option to set the current, it cjust says 10A.
Is this a fault or is it normal because the battery is nearly full?
Thanks

This night I have charged my car in "Range mode" and have "topped it of". Then I did drive for around 25 Km and wanted to charge it again at a place where I can usually charge with 16A with my spare mobile connector. Now it did not gave me an option to set the current, it cjust says 10A.
Is this a fault or is it normal because the battery is nearly full?
Thanks

I can't speak with any authority, but I suspect the latter.

you have 2 limitations, first, the limit set by the adapter. this should be always 16A, set your setting in the menu selected current. The second is done by the charger control. the charge start with max. current until the max voltage is reached. Then the current drops as long as the voltage stays with the limit. if the current falls below a certain level. the batterie is considered full.

Thank you!
Now I got the answer from Tesla directly:
It is the new firmware!
For Switzerland it limits the current with the spare mobile connector to 10A! That is a pity, I liked it with 16 A!
In Eurozone they have limited it to 13A!
So, ready for the trip!

it looks like, i have to get adapters for my UMC, then I can still collect 16A.

That's exactly the way I charge - with 16A: by using the UMC. My Firmware (like Mitrovic's and the other Swiss drivers) limits the spare mobile connector to 10A.

But I found out something interesting:
I have a 13A socket in my garage (since some years newly installed sockets have 13A breakers instead of 10A in Switzerland). So I plugged in my UMC and started charging at 13A. So far so good. Then I tried to charge at 16A - and it WORKED.

Why is that? Well the breaker has a 13A rating, but can take 16A without problems. If you plug in an electric motor which is rated to consume 13A, the initial current will be much higher than 13A - let's say 18A. Once it spins the motor will only consume the 13A it is rated. And that's why the breaker can take more than 13A although it is rated 13A.

No need to install a 16A socket if you can force your 13A to give you 16A ;)

That's exactly the way I charge - with 16A: by using the UMC. My Firmware (like Mitrovic's and the other Swiss drivers) limits the spare mobile connector to 10A.

But I found out something interesting:
I have a 13A socket in my garage (since some years newly installed sockets have 13A breakers instead of 10A in Switzerland). So I plugged in my UMC and started charging at 13A. So far so good. Then I tried to charge at 16A - and it WORKED.

Why is that? Well the breaker has a 13A rating, but can take 16A without problems. If you plug in an electric motor which is rated to consume 13A, the initial current will be much higher than 13A - let's say 18A. Once it spins the motor will only consume the 13A it is rated. And that's why the breaker can take more than 13A although it is rated 13A.

No need to install a 16A socket if you can force your 13A to give you 16A ;)

The problem are with the fuses and most important, the wire. for 16A continuously you need at least 2,5 mm². If your wires have less, then they can get pretty hot. Better to check before your wires overheat.

If your wires have less, then they can get pretty hot. Better to check before your wires overheat.

Absolutely correct. I checked the wire temperature after 1, 2 and 4 hours. They just get hand warm, so no problem. And I don't charge at 16A often. 10A is enough in 90% of the time.

But it's a nice trick if you need some extra amps. It's a pity we can't override the pilot of the UMC. It would be great to override the UMC to charge with 40A from a CEE32 ;)

I have the 10A-J-Type-Plug and the 32A-CEE32-Plug from Tesla for my UMC.

For the CEE32 I use a custom "CEE32 to T23" (Camping Connector) adapter when charging at 16A from a T23 outlet (I then also reduce the charing current via the touchscreen).

I also have "CEE16(5 Poles) to T23" and "CEE16 (3 Poles) to T23" adapters if the charging station only has CEE16 and no T23 sockets. So if I come to a charging station with CEE16 (3 Pole) Socket, I put my "CEE32 to T23" plus my "T23 to CEE16(3 Pole)" - voila ;)

With those adapters i cover 90+% of all sockets available at charging stations ;)

Last edited: