Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 auto-steer drives like it's drunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I've been on vacation for a week and only installed 7.1 (2.9.154) last night. I drove to work on my usual 20 mile route on CA-101 this morning. I've driven this route on 7.0 auto-steer maybe a hundred times, so I'm very familiar with its quirks and such. My main gripes with 7.0 auto-steer on this route were: it generally had a tendency to stay too close to the right side of the lane when in the left-most lane and it had trouble with dotted lane markers.

My impression of 7.1 auto-steer this morning is that it ping-pongs all over the lane. In fact, if I was a cop watching it drive this morning, I would have stopped me for suspicion of DUI. The part that has me baffled is that the car seems to *know* it's doing it! I can see it literally hunting around the lane in the dash display. Am I alone in feeling that 7.1 has taken a couple steps back in terms of reliability?

So, I've been on vacation for a week and only installed 7.1 (2.9.154) last night. I drove to work on my usual 20 mile route on CA-101 this morning. I've driven this route on 7.0 auto-steer maybe a hundred times, so I'm very familiar with its quirks and such. My main gripes with 7.0 auto-steer on this route were: it generally had a tendency to stay too close to the right side of the lane when in the left-most lane and it had trouble with dotted lane markers.

My impression of 7.1 auto-steer this morning is that it ping-pongs all over the lane. In fact, if I was a cop watching it drive this morning, I would have stopped me for suspicion of DUI. The part that has me baffled is that the car seems to *know* it's doing it! I can see it literally hunting around the lane in the dash display. Am I alone in feeling that 7.1 has taken a couple steps back in terms of reliability?

In some respects you're right but in others there are improvements. TACC for example is flaky but Autosteer doesn't dive for the off-ramps anymore. Which section of the 101 are you talking about?

Last edited:
In some respects you're right but in others there are improvements. TACC for example is flaky but Autosteer doesn't dive for the off-ramps anymore. Which section of the 101 are you talking about?

San Mateo to Mountain View. I didn't find it diving for off-ramps that much after the first week or two post-launch, presumably as it "learned" from your driving habits or the fleet.

I've noted the "drunken" like performance of the AP, how has the TACC been flaky? I haven't had issues other than I don't like how fast it sometimes approaches slower or stopped traffic ahead of me.

I've had it lose track of the car in front and then suddenly brake very hard. Just some odd behavior similar to that thread where the guy rear ended a car in Chicago. TACC needs some tweaking. Just to be careful I set the TACC adjustment to 6 and the Front Collusion warning to early for now.

We get the car hugging the left here, not the right so it seems to be a territory based parameter.

I believe the "drunkeness" is down to changing the damping factor in the lane keeping algorithm.
Very tight as in 7.0 and the car very literally follows the centre of the lane, but this can lead to some excessive corrections.
Looser as in 7.1 and the car drives a bit more naturally but can wander about.
In time I would hope that they can refine this to be more condition based ie tightly damped at some times and a bit looser at others.

All a complete guess of course, but satisfies my way of interpreting the change in behaviour

It did this today on my wife's test drive and scared the crap out of her- might have cost Tesla a sale. It was apparently the first time the Tesla employee who was riding with her had seen the behavior.

I recorded a short drive around the San Mateo/101 area a few nights ago and Autosteer worked well for me for the most part.

Are you sure there wasn't anything clouding the camera's ability to see the lane markings such as dirt/debris on the windshield? Or perhaps road/lighting conditions at the time made visual interpretation of road markings difficult?

Maybe the 7.1 upgrade caused some things to reset from previous learned behavior. After upgrading, I noticed my Auto Lane Change was set to off. I don't recall ever turning it off either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure there wasn't anything clouding the camera's ability to see the lane markings such as dirt/debris on the windshield? Or perhaps road/lighting conditions at the time made visual interpretation of road markings difficult?

Yeah, on the drive home after sunset, I felt that it actually did slightly better than 7.0 and about a hundred times better than the disaster from this morning. Could have been the sun or damp road conditions this morning that caused it to hunt around so much, who knows... I'll see how things go tomorrow AM.

If the roads were wet with extra reflectivity, this might've strained the camera and Autopilot's ability to discern the lane-markings (and thus following them as it recognized the ground patterns from moment to moment). For this reason, I almost always keep both hands on the steering wheel when Autosteer is engaged. It's still way too early in beta.

For me I have noticed less of the bouncing between lines since updating to 7.1. I have noticed that if its raining outside keeping defroster on and a faster speed windshield wiper keeps the autopilot happier and driving smoother.

overall I'm much happier with 7.1 performance with autopilot.

That's only because you guys drive on the wrong side of the road. [emoji3]

7.1 works perfect for me....I could not steer it any better. AP does not like Botts dots, it must see dashed lines at a minimum.