Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 and Nissan Dealers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hear that Nissan is installing J1772 chargers at their dealerships. Has anyone had any experience with these at the Nissan dealers?

I did try my J1772 adapter at a local bookstore that has a Chargepoint charger and it worked after calling Chargepoint and talking to their service rep (if they are going to outsource their calling center, they should speak better english - trying to understand them through their thick accent was challenging and time consuming). However, since this over my lunch break and I spent half of it asking the Chargpoint service rep to repeat what he said in clearer english, I didn't get much charging done (I also spent a lot of "Tesla time" answering questions about my Roadster - "What is it?" "It's a Tesla Roadster", "Who makes it?" "Tesla", "Is it a hybrid?" "No - it is all electric, no gasoline motor at all", "How far does it go?" "245 miles on a single charge, and it will do 0-60 in 3.9 sec" "OMFG!" [Me :biggrin: ])

Currently they are installing Aerovironment 30A capable EVSEs.
They tend to need them to recharge cars being prepped for delivery or during service, so you may not find a lot of availability. They tend not to be publicly available, but rather in the "back lot" behind a locked gate at night. I suppose if you had an emergency you might be able to sweet talk your way into using one, but I wouldn't plan a trip around using them.

But, I suppose that the situation varies from dealer to dealer.

At the Sunnyvale Nissan dealership, there are two chargers out front plus two more in the back, one inside and one outside the service bays. I went there a month ago to test charging my 1.5 Roadster after getting the 3.6.7 firmware update that is required to charge from the Aerovironment EVSE. The two chargers out front were occupied with cars being prepared for delivery, but I managed to talk my way into a brief connection in the service area. The price was a little "Tesla Talk" with the service crew.:smile:

Has anyone had any experience with these at the Nissan dealers?
I don't have the J1772 cable and when I visited the Nissan dealer in the UK I tried using the 13A UK socket on the Charging Station without success (car kept reporting a line fault if I remember correctly). I also understand from the dealer that priority is given to new customers or cars being serviced and other Leaf drivers have had some difficulty getting access.

I too tested my 1.5 Roadster with the Tesla J1772 adapter at a local Kennesaw Georgia Nissan dealer. They have 2 upfront and 2 further back in the lot, but since they aren't selling the Leaf yet, there was no problem with any of the chargers being in use. I did call in advance to ask permission and after giving the service manager a ride he said I could come back anytime to charge if I wanted. Anyways, there was no issue with compatibility.

Asking for permission is definitely the best strategy. On MyNissanLEAF.com there are plenty of discussions about the very different attitudes of different dealers, a few of which won't even allow LEAF drivers to charge (?! :confused:). Since the Tesla is so unique (especially at a Nissan Dealer) you might find some goodwill, but, please, for the good of all EVangelists and the future of EVs, don't abuse the privilege. Definitely some Tesla time is in order, but if it were me, I would limit charging there to near- or actual emergencies. (Unless, of course, you also own a LEAF :wink: and are on super-tight terms with that dealer's Sales and Management teams :smile: )

Asking for permission is definitely the best strategy. On MyNissanLEAF.com there are plenty of discussions about the very different attitudes of different dealers, a few of which won't even allow LEAF drivers to charge (?! :confused:). Since the Tesla is so unique (especially at a Nissan Dealer) you might find some goodwill, but, please, for the good of all EVangelists and the future of EVs, don't abuse the privilege. Definitely some Tesla time is in order, but if it were me, I would limit charging there to near- or actual emergencies. (Unless, of course, you also own a LEAF :wink: and are on super-tight terms with that dealer's Sales and Management teams :smile: )

Wow. I'm stunned that some Nissan dealerships won't allow a Leaf to charge. Unbelievable.

There seems to be the whole range depending on who you ask and at which dealer, including:
#1: "We got an EVSE installed, but only ever delivered one Leaf so go ahead and use it."
#2: "The EVSE is available but reserved only for customers that bought a car here."
#3: "The EVSE is busy prepping cars to be delivered so it isn't available right now."

Check this thread, starting at the first post:
My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Charging Rudeness?

I did a quick search & there are a number of reports substantiating - mostly dealers who won't let any Leaf charge that wasn't bought at their dealership. And yep, that's just plain stupid.

That's beyond stupid, it's self-defeating. It should be a selling point that you can charge at Nissan dealers while on the road. If someone has bought from your dealership, they already have a local place to charge - HOME!

I think many of the dealers don't really know how this is supposed to work.
Basically "The factory started sending us these weird cars, and they are distracting from our primary business, but maybe they are the future?"
Hopefully they will sort out their policies and get some consistency.
Also, it would be helpful if they got some CHAdeMO quick chargers here! If they can prep a car in 20 minutes instead of 6 hours it would help.

Also, it would be helpful if they got some CHAdeMO quick chargers here! If they can prep a car in 20 minutes instead of 6 hours it would help.
Right ! That would be cool ... but not so much for dealer prep ... instead for LEAF drivers to use on long-distance trips. (The 6 hours prep is not a fair comparison, since the cars are shipped from the port at least 50% SOC.) For some of the more progressive dealerships, having CHAdeMO would, IMHO, be an asset.

My apologies for sounding too negative on my prior post regarding Nissan dealerships. Most are ok with charging, but there have been several bad experiences reported by LEAF drivers ... badly in need of charge when it counted (of course :rolleyes:) ... and, YES, that's just plain STUPID of those dealerships (again, IMHO).

(And, thanks, TEG, for providing the specific "Charging Rudeness" link ... I should have put a little more work into it to do that :redface: )

Last edited:
That's the problem with privately owned dealers. They can restrict access to their EVSEs as much as they want. Nissan can "strongly encourage" the dealers to allow free access but can't force them. That's why Tesla owned dealerships make so much sense. They control all aspect of sales and service.

Last edited:
Tested my new adapter at my local dealership. Two spots available one had a Leaf in it (not charging). Charged at 200V 30A. No one said anything most looks were admiring the Roadster. Only stayed for 3 miles and had two long Tesla conversations.

Ten went to the local Chevy dealership. They had a Volt but no charge points out front.

I interpret the signage in two ways.

One says "This is a Nissan Dealership with lots of cars. We feature the Nissan LEAF. Parking here is for all Electric Vehicles."

The other of course is "Leaf Parking only" and if that is the case why didn't they just say that?

Attachments

• CIMG3160.JPG
    CIMG3160.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 153
  • CIMG3153.JPG
    CIMG3153.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 128
I interpret the signage in two ways.

One says "This is a Nissan Dealership with lots of cars. We feature the Nissan LEAF. Parking here is for all Electric Vehicles."

The other of course is "Leaf Parking only" and if that is the case why didn't they just say that?

I see you are putting the sage advice “It’s better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.” to good use.:biggrin: