Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any S drivers think they might prefer the smaller 3?

Are you a S driver that would rather drive a 3?

• Yep... I'm moving to a 3

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • Thought about it... maybe

Votes: 36 46.2%
  • No... I like big trunks and I cannot lie ;)

Votes: 21 26.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nwdiver

Feb 17, 2013
United States
Here's a thought I had.... I stepped up from a Jetta to a MS not because I wanted a larger car... but because I wanted an electric car with long range. I think the 3 might suit me a bit better than the S IF it's got more range and similar performance... so probably a top tier 3... plus I could upgrade to AWD and auto pilot. It's tempting. Am I sharing this boat with anyone else?

Yes, Model 3 would be about my perfect car, if it is around 3 series BMW size. Model S is too large for my preferences (But still the best all around car on the market, nothing else like it, so I could overlook it being larger than I prefer). That said I've had lots of times where I appreciated making use of all the room the Model S provides. Hope I didn't get sucked into liking big cars!

Here's a thought I had.... I stepped up from a Jetta to a MS not because I wanted a larger car... but because I wanted an electric car with long range. I think the 3 might suit me a bit better than the S IF it's got more range and similar performance... so probably a top tier 3... plus I could upgrade to AWD and auto pilot. It's tempting. Am I sharing this boat with anyone else?

Tesla was supposed to do a Model-R to replace the Roadster. It was going to be a 2+2 configuration. When I look at the new Buick Avista Concept - that is exactly what I want from Tesla (with the Tesla drivetrain/technology). I think the Model 3 will be made to appeal to an even smaller segment.

http://www.buick.com/content/dam/Buick/north_america/usa/nscwebsite/en/home/models/view_all_vehicles/reveals/Avista_Concept_Coupe/2016-buick-concept-avista-landing-page-masthead-1920x730.jpg

Last edited:
Tesla was supposed to do a Model-R to replace the Roadster.
"Supposed to"? Elon has stated that there will be a new Roadster model in the future. If you go to this page Three Dog Day | Tesla Motors you will see this at the end of his blog post: "the next generation Roadster in 4 years", which would be 2019. But of course that could change.
It was going to be a 2+2 configuration.
I am not aware of any statement from Tesla or Elon that the next version of the Roadster will be a 2+2. What is your source for that assertion?

Had the Three been available, I would have purchased it. Now that I have the S, I'm not sure I'd trade it for a three as the S doesn't drive or handle like a big car. However, I only bought a Leaf because Denise didn't want a big car (and I couldn't wait).

I would have preferred a smaller car when I bought my S because I had a Prius. Now that I have the S I'm OK with its size. We'll see in a few years but maybe I'd go for a 3. With auto parking and parking sensors the size isn't generally a big deal.

"Supposed to"? Elon has stated that there will be a new Roadster model in the future. If you go to this page Three Dog Day | Tesla Motors you will see this at the end of his blog post: "the next generation Roadster in 4 years", which would be 2019. But of course that could change.I am not aware of any statement from Tesla or Elon that the next version of the Roadster will be a 2+2. What is your source for that assertion?

Article from a few years back:

Tesla Prepares Electric Porsche 911 Competitor | car News @ Top Speed

The Model S is a larger car than I wanted. But, similar to nwdiver, I decided it was time to go electric, and the only pure BEV with the range and charging capability to be my only car is the Model S.

I think I will eventually trade from my current mid-range S (85D) to a performance-version Model 3. But I'm not going to be in a hurry. Unless there is something really compelling about the 3 (full Level 4 autonomy??) I will probably keep my S until about 2020. Maybe there will be a Model 3 sports coupe by then.

Though by 2020 there may be other options on the market.

Had the Three been available, I would have purchased it. Now that I have the S, I'm not sure I'd trade it for a three as the S doesn't drive or handle like a big car. However, I only bought a Leaf because Denise didn't want a big car (and I couldn't wait).

Wow, I could have written this. Except for my wife not being Denise. So, yeah.

We own both the largest and smallest electric cars available for sale in Canada.

My Smart ED was purchased in 2013 and I love the small size for my daily commute on city streets.

We bought the Tesla S for my wife 6 months ago, and she loves it, especially the size, she likes large safe cars, and especially likes the comfort and technology. One of the best benefits of a large car is the way it drives on the highway, very confidence inspiring.

We discussed the Model 3 in terms of a smaller car, and she flat out said no, she'll stick with the larger S and wouldn't change a thing about the car.

I like the size of the S. I'm more interested in the price of the 3 and hopefully a CUV Model Y. I want the height of an SUV/CUV, to better see around traffic. X will definitely be an option. Will wait for the reveal to make any further decisions.

That being said my favorite car before was a BMW 3 series, 6 speed manual. Problem was commuting in a land of Hummers (both the low height, and manual trans). We shall see....

Thanks. That article is from 2009, three years before the S was launched. If the statement the article attributed to Elon was accurate, it seems clear that Tesla's plans have changed, as it is now 2016 and everything we know says that Tesla's vehicle development path has changed dramatically compared to what that article described 7 years ago.

It would be great if Tesla/Elon would provide a little more clarity on plans for the Model-R. I plan on keeping my Model-S, but would be interested in a coupe version. It seems like it would have been a much simpler effort than the Model-X to create a slightly shorter 2 door version of the Model-S on the same platform. Given the "skateboard" architecture it was supposed to be easier to bring new variants to market, but so far we have seen very little evidence of platform ease-of-use. Model-R is supposed to be yet another platform, but who knows at this point.
Model-R is supposed to be yet another platform, but we shall see.

In my opinion, at this point we know essentially nothing about the "next Roadster" except that it will be a small sports car type vehicle. It will certainly be far smaller than even a "slightly shorter 2 door version of the Model S".
As the term has been used historically in reference to cars, a "roadster" is a 2-seat vehicle with an open top. It could be a convertible, or have a fixed rear support for a removable roof.

A "coupe" is a 4-seater with only 2 doors.

A "2+2" has 2 doors and 4 seats but the rear seats are not able to accommodate average size adults, they are smaller.

We do not know what the next Tesla Roadster will be like, or even if it will technically be a "roadster" style vehicle. Nor do we know if Tesla will use the Gen II platform they are developing for the Model 3 as the basis for their next sports car.

A Model S coupe would be basically the same size as the current S but have only 2 doors that would be longer than the front doors in the current S. There is no indication from Tesla that the S will ever be offered in coupe format.

Thanks. That article is from 2009, three years before the S was launched. If the statement the article attributed to Elon was accurate, it seems clear that Tesla's plans have changed, as it is now 2016 and everything we know says that Tesla's vehicle development path has changed dramatically compared to what that article described 7 years ago.

They're doing exactly what Elon Musk said here in 2006 though. The master plan was basically Roadster > Model S > Model 3. The next roadster or 2+2 is probably still on the way, it's just that they're behind on their initial timeline for releases.

The Secret Tesla Motors Master Plan (just between you and me) | Tesla Motors