Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blurry Rear View Camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The rear view camera on my Model S is blurry. Images aren't very clear.
I tried cleaning the outer lens from the rear of the car, but images are still blurry.
I've driven other Model S vehicles, and the rear view camera is very clear.
I'll have to fix it myself or pay to have it done because I don't have a bumper to bumper warranty.
Has anyone had their rear view camera replaced?

Yes, my 2013 had a blurry rear camera. It was most prevalent around the edges where it gets a little fish-eyed anyways. But at the time I had a front camera installed too and they were night and day as far as clarity.

What year is your car? Assuming it's older and you bought it non-CPO if you have no warranty?

Yes. My first car had a really clear camera, but the second had a really blurry, out-of-focus image (especially at the corners). The service adviser stated that there is no newer version of the camera available, so there's nothing to replace. I had to argue a bit and show him the difference by parking next to the loaner car and have him jump between them before he agreed to swap out the camera. He still insisted that it won't make any difference, but I told them to do it anyway. Made a huge difference.

Yes, my 2013 had a blurry rear camera. It was most prevalent around the edges where it gets a little fish-eyed anyways. But at the time I had a front camera installed too and they were night and day as far as clarity.

What year is your car? Assuming it's older and you bought it non-CPO if you have no warranty?

Mine is a 2013 non-CPO. It's not under warranty. All of the images I see in the camera are out of focus. We also own another 2013 CPO, and it's camera is very clear.

My 2013 had a blurry camera also. At the last annual service I complained about it, and they replaced it. It involved replacing the entire chrome trim bar that has Tesla on it. Since I had customized that with the red 'TESLA' accents they gave me the old bar and camera to keep.

I wasn't aware that the standard 4 year warranty wouldn't cover that. I'd think it was a safety item.

They cost a little under $400. At least last time I bought one, in 2013. The cable on the camera is only about 12" long, so probably wouldn't be too hard to replace.

I saw one online I thought about getting for a little under $200. I tried taking the older one off before making my purchase. Everything was gong fine until the last stage. As another member mentioned, it looks as though I would have to remove the trip piece in order to take it off. I could easily get to the cable wires by popping out the left door handle in the trunk. The service center said it'll cost about $761 if they replaced it. I'll try to get some prices from a few Tesla approved body shops as well.

The rear view camera on my Model S is blurry. Images aren't very clear.
I tried cleaning the outer lens from the rear of the car, but images are still blurry.
I've driven other Model S vehicles, and the rear view camera is very clear.
I'll have to fix it myself or pay to have it done because I don't have a bumper to bumper warranty.
Has anyone had their rear view camera replaced?
Had this too, over time, my rear cam got fuzzy. Service center replaced it no questions asked.

- - - Updated - - -

My 2013 had a blurry camera also. At the last annual service I complained about it, and they replaced it. It involved replacing the entire chrome trim bar that has Tesla on it. Since I had customized that with the red 'TESLA' accents they gave me the old bar and camera to keep.

I wasn't aware that the standard 4 year warranty wouldn't cover that. I'd think it was a safety item.
It is covered under warranty.

During my last car service visit, I mentioned to the adviser that the loaner had a very sharp rear view camera while mine was blurry all over. When the service work was finished, he told me that a new camera was on order and he would send a ranger over to my house to install if after it arrives - and that it was covered by warranty.

During my last car service visit, I mentioned to the adviser that the loaner had a very sharp rear view camera while mine was blurry all over. When the service work was finished, he told me that a new camera was on order and he would send a ranger over to my house to install if after it arrives - and that it was covered by warranty.

Darn, I need to move down near your SC (and FL is looking good right now)

Fisheye distortion on rear view backup camera?

My 2013 S rear view camera seems to have gained a bad fisheye distortion. I can see the chrome trim piece in the upper corners of the screen, which I don't recall seeing before. I assume there is supposed to be some software correction for the inherent lens distortion. Did the most recent firmware update mess this up? Or did I just ignore this for the past 3 years?

Attachments

• IMG_3117.JPG
    IMG_3117.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 328
My 2013 S rear view camera seems to have gained a bad fisheye distortion. I can see the chrome trim piece in the upper corners of the screen, which I don't recall seeing before. I assume there is supposed to be some software correction for the inherent lens distortion. Did the most recent firmware update mess this up? Or did I just ignore this for the past 3 years?

I've always seen that trim and can read half my license plate. But I've only had my car a year, so maybe I just had an oddball unit.

I noticed how much clearer a loaner was to my car and had my the center look at it. They found nothing wrong, but cleaning it made a big difference. Maybe the "condensation" problems of the trim and tailights also affect the camera lense?

Top is before they worked on it, bottom a few hours after I got it back.
a7Sk5qG.jpg

some early Model S had a standard definition rear camera when it was not equipped with the Tech pkg. You had to check the box for Tech pkg in order to get the HD rear cam back then. I would imagine some CPO customers purchasing those vehicles and being frustrated.

Here's my March 2013 (VIN 9xxx). Could see trim on top back then, too.

Attachments

• IMG_5821.jpeg
    IMG_5821.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 164