Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

crazy swiss drive going where no electric car was before....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, not really, but it sounds good, isn't it?
Yesterday I was invited to drive the "Alpenbrevet 2011". A night drive over around 14 alp passes and 900 Kilometer. Expected time: 20 hours.
50 cars, mainly oldtimers and one Tesla! Starting in two days at full moon!

Sounds impossible, and it is without proper preparation! It might be possible with a HPC on the right place, but like that I will do a shortened version. Between 600 and 800 Km with a charging stop of about 4 hours at 32 A ( and getting some sleep, too ).

Now I have to do the maths! I wil start hopefully fully loaded. The start is some 100 kilometers from my place and I'll have to work in the morning.

My plan is to go 200 Km, then charge with 32 for 90 minutes, gives me about 70 Km, then go 200 Km charge for 4 hours give me 150 to 200 Km Km then go for 200 Km and charge for 90 minutes with 32 A gives me about 70 Km.
That gives me: 400 + 70 + 200 +70 = 740 KM
Charging time: 7 hours
Driving time: 13 hours

And as I will drive the shortened version, this should be o.k. Well theoretically....

Thank you for your advice, but I did not understand the numbers?

So you would say to charge in performance mode, but to drive in range mode?

yes - charging in performance will allow higher temperature in the pack without or little cooling. If I run carefully in range mode, in can get 20% more range then Ideal range with consumption below 130Wh/km. Try to avoid excessive acceleration with high current consumption or fast uphill pace. Try to stay below 50A, even uphill.

I look forward to a trip report! Take careful notes of charging modes, current, times, mileage, etc. Also, you can probably pull your VehicleLogs when you're done to get most of these numbers (everything but estimated ideal miles for each leg).

I f you would like to look at the map.

The plan is:
Start at 16.00 in Meiringen, fully charged. Sustenpass ( 2244m ), Andermatt, Oberalppass ( 2044m ), Disentis, Lukmanierpass ( 1914m ), Biasca, St. Bernardino Pass ( 2065m ), Splügen, Splügenpass ( 2113m ). Arriving at 22.00 in Motespluga for a dinner and may be a little recharge, if I find a socket!? So far around 260 Km.
Then Chiavena, Malojapass ( 1815 ), St. Moritz. Hope to arrive at around 0.30. Some 77 Km. Total 337. The EV friendly station St. Moritz should have installed a 32 A socket for the car and a nice room for me. Loading for about 4 hours.
Departing at around 5.00 to Julierpass ( 2284 ), Tiefencastel, Airolo, Sankt Gotthard Pass ( 2188 ), Furkapass ( 2481m ), Grimselpass ( 2165m ). Charging for 90 minutes with 32A and taking a breakfast. Meiringen, and the finish in Interlaken. Around 322 Km. Hope to arrive at around 14.00.
Then some more 80 Km to get home!

So, the run will have a total of about 657 Km. With the way to the start and from the finish, it will be around 830 Km! 10 Swiss alps crossings! The highest being Furka at 2481 m above sea.

sounds to be a nice trip. Maybe some Roadster should do this trip at daytime and on 3 days (nights for recharging). Any Owners out there to join for a ride together? or on 2 days? with some charging around noon? saturday/sunday?

Back at home! Car is charging and I'm recovering. I'll try to post the full story soon. But here the results of stage two:
St. Moritz - Julierpass - Tiefencastel - San Bernardino ( tunnel - the pass I did on stage one ) - Gotthardpass - Furkapass - Grimselpass - Interlaken - Bern - Murten:

th_00e383ff.jpg

While charging in performance mode, the cooling is less, therefore, less power is directed to AC and more power is left for charging.
So, what you're saying is that Performance is the fastest way to charge, even if Range gives the most charge. If you do not have time to spare and are willing to accept slightly lower charge, then use Performance. If you absolutely must get the maximum charge and have the time, then use Range. For such a trip as described in this thread, I suppose you'd start out with a Range charge at home, then Performance charge along the way, followed by Standard charge upon returning home.

Last edited: