Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires - Staggered Size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NOLA_Mike

May 11, 2013
Colorado
ContiSilent Tires Available in Staggered Sizes

For the first time I can recall while perusing The Tire Rack this morning I see the Continental ContiSport Silent are available in Tesla OEM 21" staggered tire sizes.

Screenshot 2016-01-17 07.19.35.png

The OEM Michelins are all I have ever seen available.

Screenshot 2016-01-17 07.23.08.png

The treadwear rating on the Continentals is marginally better than the Michelins. I would be tempted to try the Contenentals when I need new tires...

Mike

Last edited:
For the first time I can recall while perusing The Tire Rack this morning I see the Continental ContiSport Silent are available in Tesla OEM 21" staggered tire sizes.

Thanks for posting that Mike.

It was getting close to time to replace my staggered Michelin PS2 (wet traction was beginning to suffer at 4/32 of tread left after 10,000 miles), so I sprung for the Continental Contisportcontact 5P. I found the PS2s to be painfully loud on the tar-on-aggregate road surfaces we have a lot of around here, so I was excited to see if the Contisilent foam makes a difference.

First impressions: WAY quieter than the PS2s. The foam really does make a difference. They are quieter than the 21" Continental Extreme Contacts I had on my previous Model S as well. Handling and traction seem easily on par with the PS2s. Better than the Extreme Contacts. Only downside is the 5Ps are a bit stiffer in the sidewalls than the PS2s. Could just be I need to break them in a bit though.

Thanks for the review EarlyAdopter. I'm really curious how the noise is when they wear down some. I find all tires are noisier when they're worn but some brands are worse than others in this regard.

All around I'm pretty happy with the Michelins but I'm open to something better.

I found the PS2s to be painfully loud ....

I fully agree! One of the surprises with the car has been how loud the original, staggered 21" PS2 tires are, when the electric drivetrain should make it so much quieter. Especially after I compared it to the much quieter 19" X-Ice winter tires.
However, I really like the performance of the PS2s.

Can others who have the Contisportcontact 5P please report their impressions in how these stack up to the PS2s in performance and wear.

Thanks!

Hey guys. Great topic. My P85+ has 15,000 miles and I know I will be needing tires soon, especially on the rear. Have any of you looked into the used tire sources available? I know Tire Rack offers great prices, but looking for better. Thanks.

Went to a performance shop I use to get my tires switched over to Summers. I discussed tire options with the owner and he was really keen on Michelin Pilot Super Sports compared to the Continental Contipsportcontact 5s. He checked his supplier online pages and the 245/35/21 and 265/35/21Supersports were listed but showing no availability. He checked my tires and figured the fronts have two seasons of tread while the rears are likely good for this season. I am going to try to wait for the Super Sports.

@KR1 You bring up a good point. I will likely need to replace at least the rear PS2s in the next several months. I will stay with Michelin. So I need to begin sourcing now to make sure I have some lined up when I need them. Can't have them out of stock when I have to replace them now. Thanks for the nudge!

Please pass along your impressions on noise when the tires are 5-10K miles old. Comparing almost any brand new tire to the clapped-out set they are replacing will probably result in a lot less road noise regardless of the brand. In general I have found the more they wear, the more noise they make. For me, remembering how bad they sounded a year back is tough. My staggered P85+ PS2's are and were really noisy on concrete highways, but almost silent with new asphalt and I think this held through regardless of mileage.

Getting a good comparison on noise across the fitment for staggered set-ups with similar wear/age is a challenge.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
Any updates on this topic? I'm getting close to needing to replace my 21s and I'm completely up in the air as to what to do. I think I'd like to try the Michelin Pilot Super Sports that are allegedly coming out in the appropriate sizes this summer but I'm not sure I can wait that long.

I also noticed that according to Specs listed on The Tire Rack that the Contenental Silents are 3 lbs. heavier than the PS2s in the 245 series. I'm not crazy about increasing unsprung weight.

I went from staggered PS2's on my P85D to square (245) PSS's 6000 miles ago. They are better in every respect: tread wear, dry traction, wet traction, price and (possibly) noise. Since the P85D has mostly been delivered with a square setup it appears it doesn't need the extra oversteer protection of having 20mm more tire at the rear like is needed on the P85+.