Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carpool w/OUT Horrible HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tanner

Nov 17, 2013
SoCal
Can it be done? Let's face it, three or 4 ugly stickers = too much & they deface the gorgeousness of the S. If you get pulled over in the carpool will a cop let you off if you state that you're "waiting" for your HOV stickers in the mail? Would it be best to have them in the glove compartment to whip them out in those situations?

Can it be done? Let's face it, three or 4 ugly stickers = too much & they deface the gorgeousness of the S. If you get pulled over in the carpool will a cop let you off if you state that you're "waiting" for your HOV stickers in the mail? Would it be best to have them in the glove compartment to whip them out in those situations?

Nope. The car-pool-sticker-in-the-glove-compartment won't work and they can still give you a ticket for not wearing those hideous permanent stickers. You'd only be angering the officer for whipping out the stickers thinking that he wasted his time pulling you over and he'll tell you're only allowed to drive in the car pool lane if the stickers are affixed to your car as stated in the instructions.

What I did was buy 6 of these removable stickers (2 for each sticker) and put them on when I need to use them. I put 2 on for each sticker thinking that eventually the stickiness might start to fade on the bottom sticker and I'd just replace it. Haven't had to replace it yet, but then again, I rarely use the car pool lane.

Nope. The car-pool-sticker-in-the-glove-compartment won't work and they can still give you a ticket for not wearing those hideous permanent stickers. You'd only be angering the officer for whipping out the stickers thinking that he wasted his time pulling you over and he'll tell you're only allowed to drive in the car pool lane if the stickers are affixed to your car as stated in the instructions.

What I did was buy 6 of these removable stickers (2 for each sticker) and put them on when I need to use them. I put 2 on for each sticker thinking that eventually the stickiness might start to fade on the bottom sticker and I'd just replace it. Haven't had to replace it yet, but then again, I rarely use the car pool lane.
lord, the HOV stickers are just so HORRIBLE. They honestly ruin the S (IMO - maybe a tad dramatic, but they're seriously awful).

Like it or not, 'tis the privilege for a single-occupant driver to drive in that lane during car pool hours.

Perhaps it's because I'm a bit punchy this morning, but I thought the same thing... three options: sticker & enjoy the HOV lane; no sticker and enjoy the other lanes; and move to another state where the only issue with traffic is when Farmer Johnson pulls the Deere onto the county highway. :)

• Funny
Reactions: gabeincal
Would another option be to actually carpool when using the carpooling lanes? Surely stickers aren't required for that case.

Yes, of course. But carpools? We've all seen Mr. Mom, haven't we? Haggling over electricity/gas money, waiting for people to come out the door? I mean, do you really expect us to have to organize rides? C'mon, now.

:)

Similar to what jak posted, I bought this and attached the stickers to it and then I keep them in my glovebox for use as needed. I usually am carpooling (as I have kids) but when I am alone, these work well. I also use this stuff for political bumper stickers so that I can remove them after election season.

Amazon.com - Crafty-Fab by Vinyl Oasis - Self-Adhesive Craft -

Oh, and someone else posted in another thread on this about sticking them on the black plastic parts of the car, and I thought they looked much better there if you are going to affix them permanently.

• Informative
Reactions: acarlos1000
Whatever imbecile that came up with the hideous looking 3 stickers really hates cars.

They are seriously ugly. At the least they could have made then circular, smaller, and with some distinct pattern so the stickers are not some hideous shape.

Or like other states they can just issue special tags of a certain color to identify such cars and be done with it. So many other ways to address this rather than affix 3 hideous stickers on the car.

Whatever imbecile that came up with the hideous looking 3 stickers really hates cars.

They are seriously ugly. At the least they could have made then circular, smaller, and with some distinct pattern so the stickers are not some hideous shape.

Or like other states they can just issue special tags of a certain color to identify such cars and be done with it. So many other ways to address this rather than affix 3 hideous stickers on the car.
Seriously, and just ONE sticker, not 3....

You could always consider carrying other passengers, as the carpool lanes are designed for... no hideous stickers required.

I'm actually against EV carpool lane access. I think it completely defeats the purpose of the carpool lane, and just gets other motorists angry at the "elite" who get to skirt the rules.

Well, it's quite obvious the reason why these stickers are ugly. They're meant for ugly cars and all EVs look ugly, so no harm done! :biggrin:

That is... until Tesla came along. :scared:

My opinion: Either put the stickers on the car or stay out of the HOV lane when single-occupant. There is already some backlash against EV owners (assumed preferential parking, tax incentives, rebates, etc.). At least let people know why you're driving in the HOV lane by placing the sticker on your vehicle. And don't waste the time of law enforcement by not putting it on and thinking you can talk your way out of a ticket by having it in the glove box.

No one is forcing anyone to use the HOV lane. Putting the stickers on the car is the price of admission.

My opinion: Either put the stickers on the car or stay out of the HOV lane when single-occupant. There is already some backlash against EV owners (assumed preferential parking, tax incentives, rebates, etc.). At least let people know why you're driving in the HOV lane by placing the sticker on your vehicle. And don't waste the time of law enforcement by not putting it on and thinking you can talk your way out of a ticket by having it in the glove box.

No one is forcing anyone to use the HOV lane. Putting the stickers on the car is the price of admission.

I love your comments Bonnie but if you ever break the law even once (I think we all speed every now and again) we are wasting law enforcements time and taking a risk that we will be stopped. Its all a matter of how law abiding you are. I think leaving off two stickers (out of three) and keeping the rest the the glove department is not that big of deal... Just saying... Don't be mad at me I'm a big fan ;)

I love your comments Bonnie but if you ever break the law even once (I think we all speed every now and again) we are wasting law enforcements time and taking a risk that we will be stopped. Its all a matter of how law abiding you are. I think leaving off two stickers (out of three) and keeping the rest the the glove department is not that big of deal... Just saying... Don't be mad at me I'm a big fan ;)

Hah. Not mad at you. And lord knows I've broken a few speed limits here and there. Abiding by the HOV lane rules is kind of a no-brainer.

The point is that at least one sticker on your car lets other people know the car is legally in the HOV lane. Hopefully it sparks discussion about getting an EV so they can commute in that lane, also.

Probably true. Do you display your front license plates also?