Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Happened to Battery Swaps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They opened one station, invite only and you had to make a reservation, and pay a fee, and go get your old battery on your return trip.

They couldn't compete with the convenience and cost of the superchargers.

Battery swap was always just a CARB credit grab, it never made real sense in the real world.

They opened one station, invite only and you had to make a reservation, and pay a fee, and go get your old battery on your return trip.

They couldn't compete with the convenience and cost of the superchargers.

Battery swap was always just a CARB credit grab, it never made real sense in the real world.
Huh, interesting. Who were the invites sent too? More details?

- - - Updated - - -

That link was the launch of it. not the current state. To my knowledge the one station is still in operation, and still almost never used.
I know, that's the point. I'll edit it to avoid confusion.

The details are in the thread I linked to, but yes, it does still work, it just takes an extra few moments to remove and re-attach the shields
Yeah. Was reading through it, seems like it takes ~4 minutes. A bit longer than the initial 90 second demo. Would be cool if more stations were deployed and price was lowered to around $50 or $60. Would be WELL worth it to pack swap before a long trip.

My trip experience indicates that the 15 minutes or less Supercharger stops generally allow a pit stop and they are compete before you finish (this wouldn't be the case in very cold/bad weather, then the SC stops would be longer). One 15 minute stop in the morning, a 45 minute stop at lunch, and a 15 minute stop in the afternoon gets a minimum of 400 miles, and more likely 500 miles. Add an additional 20-30 minute stop and you get to 600.

A swap station would never compete.The only real case for battery swap is commercial users where the vehicles are in operation 24 hours. To be effective, the swap station would have to be located just for that operation. Outside of an airport would be ideal because a single swap station could service multiple commercial customers.