Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Aftermarket Spoiler Install Advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I just purchased a glossy CF aftermarket OEM spoiler. Reading up on how to properly install it, some advised using some Silicone adhesives, while others just used the pre-placed double sided 3M tape that comes already attached on the underside of the spoiler. Is the silicone adhesive necessary, or overkill? If using the Silicone adhesives is a good idea, is there a particular brand that can be recommended, and where should I apply it on the spoiler for best results?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Spongdds

Hi, I just purchased a glossy CF aftermarket OEM spoiler. Reading up on how to properly install it, some advised using some Silicone adhesives, while others just used the pre-placed double sided 3M tape that comes already attached on the underside of the spoiler. Is the silicone adhesive necessary, or overkill? If using the Silicone adhesives is a good idea, is there a particular brand that can be recommended, and where should I apply it on the spoiler for best results?

Thanks,

Spongdds

I just did this and used the pre-placed 3M adhesive. The corners stick up but all together it feels very firm. Took a road trip and went 80-90 for 600 miles and didn't fly off! Lol. I'm thinking of what to do about the corners, leave it or take it off and reapply better 3M..
The hardest thing was getting it to line up perfectly... Overall I'm highly satisfied with the looks!!!

Before the spoiler is put on, the surface needs to be extremely clean. Think ipa alcohol wipe down. The spoiler should also come with a primer to help the tape stick. If not you can get the primer at most auto stores for fitting weather shields.

Last edited:
I used the double sided tape for the initial install. It looked pretty good but the left corner was up just a bit letting water under the spoiler and negatively affecting my sense of aesthetics. I read that someone had used silicone sealant to supplement the tape and got this from amazon. I used it on the offending corner and now it is sealed and the gap is gone. Both the practical and aesthetic issues addressed. If I were to do it again I would have reinforced the double sided tape prior to insulation on the corners that are slightly raised. That being said the silicone sealant works well.

Peace,

Father Bill

Reactions: benjiejr
Mine has the same problem. Mine was a fairly cheap one from ebay. I considered the silicone sealant but never did it. One of these days I'm going to take it off again and bend it to fit properly. In another thread, someone reporting doing it by holding it over a pot of boiling water. I thought maybe I'd use a heat gun.

Thanks,

Spongdds

Can you PM me the link you ordered from as well as the results now that you might have gotten it mounted???

I ordered and received one as well but it didn't come with the tape. Anyone know where I can get the tape?
Same thing here... No tape on the spoiler... IMG_20190402_191725.jpg