Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very cool extension cord to have in case

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't find this info already posted when I searched for it. So forgive me if it has already been mentioned.

I recently got back from a road trip out of Supercharger range which was kind of painful. At the condo I stayed at I considered it would be possible to have charged via the dryer outlet if i had the adapter and an extension chord. I wanted to order both the Tesla Chademo adapter, an 14-50 extension chord and a 14-30 adapter for dryers. Well lo and behold EVSE Adapters.com has a universal extension chord that was designed for EV use that will fit both the 14-50 or 14-30 plugs, so need to carry multiple adapters.

Heavy-duty NEMA 14-50 extension cord for Tesla, 20 ft.

Thanks for the suggestion to limit the power on the 14-30.

I agree the only difference is the lack of the 4th unused prong. I just thought it was cool to be able to carry one chord that could fit the two different scenarios. I had on my wish list to get the 14-50 extension chord and a 14-30 dryer plug adapter just to have on my next trip, just in case. I was glad to be able to get both scenarios with one chord , and not have to worry about another loose piece of gear, and save the price of the additional adapter.

This is a great cord for EV charging, but could fry 120 V appliances in an RV.

Make sure to label the cord/adapter well, that it is for EV charging use only, and absolutely not for RV use, can be dangerous for RV's.

I got the 30 foot Camco cord from Amazon, and yes, the one time I needed and used it, I needed every bit of the 30 feet and then some. I had to go partway up a driveway, in the side door of a house, down the stairs to the basement and then across the laundry room. In hindsight, I wish I would have made my own. Eliminating 30 feet of that extra neutral wire inside the cable would have made it a lot lighter and more flexible. The Camco one is a beast. EVSEadapters will respond to custom length requests, so you can probably order that one from them and ask them to make it as a 30 or 40 foot.

The problem with the Camco cords (I have one), is they are VERY heavy and stiff.
I think the evseadapters.com version has 1 less wire and is lighter and more flexible.
Assuming you only need it for EV charging, I'd go with the evseadapters.com cord, just ask for him to make it 30ft.

Correct on both counts. The Camco is a true 14-50 extension, containing 3, AWG 6 conductors, plus a ground. The EVSE does not have the neutral conductor, so it is immediately 2/3 the size and weight. But it can only be used to charge your Tesla.

I thought about removing the neutral from the Camco, but I hesitated, thinking there might be a time I could use it with my RV. So I bought the EVSEadapter cable too. I carry both in my S (along with a couple others I made up).

In case you needed more info: TESLA Pittsburgh.com: Get Your Juice Loose

The longer cords do have a slight impact on charging speed. They're also quite heavy.

The guy is wrong. He was pulling basically the same voltage before and after, the mph reading is prone to error from averaging and auxiliary usage, like the heater turning on.

Also, good reason to build your own. Temco soow 6/3 cable I got is light a flexible, even in cold weather. If I were doing it again, I'd go one more size down, save another few pounds. The UMC cable is tiny compared to this thing, it's overkill.

Last edited by a moderator: