Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Key, the easy way to prepare your vehicle from an iPhone and iPad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I´ve been missing a shortcut / quick way to set charge, pre-heating and pre-cooling my Tesla from my iPhone.
The default Tesla App works, but there is no quick way to perform these actions.

Not finding the solution I was looking for, I created this app. It is now available iTunes.

screen322x572.jpg
6S_IMG_0164.PNG

Highlights:

Tesla Key is a tool for fast and easy access to your Tesla vehicle from anywhere using your mobile device.

With Tesla Key You can perform the following tasks with your Tesla:
- Lock and Unlock doors
- Remote start, keyless driving (drive off without the original Tesla Key)
- Open Charge Port Door
- Set required charge limit % and start or stop charging
- Set climate temperature and start or stop climate system in vehicle
- Locate vehicle by honking horn or flashing lights
- 3D Touch instant access
- Autorun vehicle commands on app start
- Supports multiple vehicles in one account

The app is ideal for pre-cooling, pre-heating, keyless driving or charging the vehicle with one click 3D Touch.

Link to iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/tesla-key/id1065805030

"Fast and easy". "One click with 3D Touch" is the advantage, if you value time.

Nice idea. If the connection actually happens reliably and quickly. I can see how it would be really handy and nice to 3D Touch the app to get things going without having to enter the app, and significantly ease the hassle factor of doing this before heading back to the car. It's not like it's tough with the official app, but this would be even easier with less social friction.

$4.99? A bit steep for what it does.

Agreed. Particularly given the UI, which looks to have been given zero thought. Which is why I'm holding off and hoping 3D Touch is included in the upcoming Remote S update. I'd consider it for $0.99, possible $1.99, but this app doesn't show half the effort of Remote S, and thus not worth half the price.

Agreed. Particularly given the UI, which looks to have been given zero thought. Which is why I'm holding off and hoping 3D Touch is included in the upcoming Remote S update. I'd consider it for $0.99, possible $1.99, but this app doesn't show half the effort of Remote S, and thus not worth half the price.

Agree. Appreciate the effort by the OP, but would not pay $5 for this as it stands now.

Agree. Appreciate the effort by the OP, but would not pay $5 for this as it stands now.
It's interesting that we (yes, me, too) spend even a millisecond thinking about spending $3.00 more, or $5.00 total, for an app for use with our $75,000-$135,000 cars. I guess it has something to do with judgments of values relative to other mobile apps in general, or equity vis-a-vis the developer.

But, having spent some time to overcome my irrational (in my opinion) stinginess, I'm about to get this app to compare with Tesla's and Remote S.

Hi all,

The purpose of the app is not to have the most features available. I did not create this app to be a competitor to Tesla´s official app or the other 3´rd party apps out there.

The purpose of "Tesla Key" is to be an extension of the keyfob; a companion that is easy to use, quick and convenient.

I use the app every time I´m about to take a drive in my Tesla, setting preheat/precool some minutes before leaving. I may even unlock and start the car from the app if I´m walking around with the phone in my hand (sometimes I do).

There are also some other nice features like setting charge limit, starting/stopping charge, locate car (flash lights/honk horn) and open charge port door.

That said, the next version is "Waiting for review" in iTunes. Hopefully ready within a week.
This next version contains temperature Fahrenheit and Celsius conversion as well as the possibility to set custom charge %.
Preview of next version in attached images.

Attachments

• 6S_3D.png
    6S_3D.png
    339.7 KB · Views: 144
  • Simulator Screen Shot 17. jan. 2016, 20.22.35.png
    Simulator Screen Shot 17. jan. 2016, 20.22.35.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Hi all,

The purpose of the app is not to have the most features available. I did not create this app to be a competitor to Tesla´s official app or the other 3´rd party apps out there.

The purpose of "Tesla Key" is to be an extension of the keyfob; a companion that is easy to use, quick and convenient.

I use the app every time I´m about to take a drive in my Tesla, setting preheat/precool some minutes before leaving. I may even unlock and start the car from the app if I´m walking around with the phone in my hand (sometimes I do).

There are also some other nice features like setting charge limit, starting/stopping charge, locate car (flash lights/honk horn) and open charge port door.

That said, the next version is "Waiting for review" in iTunes. Hopefully ready within a week.
This next version contains temperature Fahrenheit and Celsius conversion as well as the possibility to set custom charge %.
Great idea however I echo a few of the above comments;

1. Too expensive as a "beta" app that isn't proven yet
2. If you don't have an iPhone 6s there isn't really any benefit to this over any of the other apps as you can't do the 3D touch to activate the quick menu
3. I would prefer to support TMC sponsors who play by the rules of the forum I enjoy

Hi all,

So, as a companion app, how about a price drop to $1.99? Better do it soon, before Remote S updates with Touch ID support and there's no longer a benefit to your app!