Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC Supply vs Demand Woes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed an order for a Model S HPWC (High Power Wall Connector) online in the Tesla Accessories website of Tesla Motors.
After one week, expecting a shipping notice on Thursday or Friday I received a notice
that due to performing a Physical Inventory at the distribution center, my shipment is
going to be delayed and if I wanted to cancel the order or remain on backorder is my option.

Sounds to me like Demand has outstripped Supply of the HPWC for North America.

Perhaps someone in accessories did not forecast the Q3 & Q1 Model S sales correctly.

I recon that the HPWC demand tags along with Model S deliveries.

Or perhaps there is a supplier issue on some component(s) of the HPWC?

Anyone else waiting for their HPWC? If so how long?

Last edited:
I placed an order for a HPWC online in the Tesla Accessories website of Tesla Motors.
After one week, expecting a shipping notice on Thursday or Friday I received a notice
that due to performing a Physical Inventory at the distribution center, my shipment is
going to be delayed and if I wanted to cancel the order or remain on backorder is my option.

Perhaps someone in accessories did not forecast the Q3 & Q1 Model S sales correctly.

Anyone els waiting for their HPWC? If so how long?

This could also be caused by folks getting ready for their Model X's. The Model X can be ordered with a 48 Amp charger or an optional 72 Amp charger. The UMC is limited to 40 Amps.

Unfortunately, the HPWC does not have DIP switch settings for a 48 Amp Charging/60 Amp Breaker or a 72 Amp Charging/90 Amp Breaker. Maybe this lack of stock is the result of an update in the design that will include those two settings for Model X owners... That would be a win for Model S owners with dual chargers as well. The 60 and 90 Amp Breaker sizes are sweet spots in required wire size, needing #6 and #4 copper wire, respectively.

This could also be caused by folks getting ready for their Model X's. The Model X can be ordered with a 48 Amp charger or an optional 72 Amp charger. The UMC is limited to 40 Amps.

Unfortunately, the HPWC does not have DIP switch settings for a 48 Amp Charging/60 Amp Breaker or a 72 Amp Charging/90 Amp Breaker. Maybe this lack of stock is the result of an update in the design that will include those two settings for Model X owners... That would be a win for Model S owners with dual chargers as well. The 60 and 90 Amp Breaker sizes are sweet spots in required wire size, needing #6 and #4 copper wire, respectively.

You are correct with those limitations, and a product transition with the 60 and 90 AMP breaker support could be at the root cause.
Wonderful idea.... I am not as familiar with the X's charger options (I cannot go in and play with the configurator for the X).

I placed an order for a Model S HPWC (High Power Wall Connector) online in the Tesla Accessories website of Tesla Motors.

I don't think this has anything to do with demand/supply issues. I had actually ordered a 5-20 adapter before January 1st, they sent me the wrong one, then said the correct one wouldn't be sent out until after they completed inventory. I didn't want to wait so I went to my local SC to pick one up and canceled my order. I spoke on the phone with a woman in their online order department several times to sort out the problem. She mentioned the inventory issue causing all orders to be delayed. I'd take that a face value, they are still doing inventory so they aren't shipping any orders. Nothing to do with supply or demand.

Or... it could be just what they told you which was that they are taking inventory and it will be shipped after inventory.
You do know the difference between a delay because of taking inventory (common in January for many companies) and not having it in stock?
FWIW, I purchased a HPWC at my local Service Center (Rocklin) last month. They had plenty in stock to pick up the same day.

There are two revisions of the HPWC:

• Revision 1 of the HPWC has DIP switch settings for 60A, 70A and 90A breakers (48A, 56A and 72A supplied, respectively).
  • Revision 2 of the HPWC replaced those DIP switch settings with settings for 15A, 20A and 30A breakers (12A, 16A and 24A supplied, respectively).

Rev 1 HPWC Manual: http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/ms_hpwc_installation_guide.pdf

Rev 2 HPWC Manual: http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/tesla-wall-connector-installation-80A-12A.pdf

In the rev 1 manual, the DIP switch settings look like this:

Rev 1 DIP Switch Settings.PNG

In the rev 2 manual, the DIP switch settings look like this:

Rev 2 DIP Switch Settings.PNG

Note that the DIP switches in each manual refer to a different current! Rev 1 manual bases the DIP switch settings on breaker size. Rev 2 manual bases the DIP switch settings on supplied current, which is 80% of the breaker size!

Note also that for the common DIP switch settings between the two revisions that the breaker and supplied current work out to the same DIP switch setting! e.g. The DIP switch settings for 40A breaker (32A supplied), 50A breaker (40A supplied), 80A breaker (64A supplied), and 100A breaker (80A supplied) are the same between the two revisions!

As far as I know, you can only tell which rev of the HPWC you have by looking on the small system board inside. Mine is a rev 2 board:

PartNum.jpg

Now, if you have a rev 2 HPWC and want to charge a Model X, you will not be able to use 60A, 70A or 90A breakers. (May be just as well -- these breakers are non-standard sizes and are hard to find). You can use the next breaker size (and wire) up, and the car will only draw what it is rated for.

For a rev 2 HPWC charging a Model X with the 12 kW (48A) charger:

• 4 gauge copper wire (THHN 90°C), 80A breaker, 64A supplied DIP switch setting. The HPWC will inform the car that it can supply up to 64A, but the car will only draw 48A.

For a rev 2 HPWC charging a Model X with the 18 kW (72A) charger:

• 3 gauge copper wire (THHN 90°C), 100A breaker, 80A supplied DIP switch setting. The HPWC will inform the car that it can supply up to 80A, but the car will only draw 72A.

My electrician buddy's van carries a minimum of 1 box of each size Square D type (QO and Homeowner's) as well as the modern GE... I guess those are the brands he runs into in the Northeast.

Types BR (Bryant, then Cutler-Hammer, then Eaton), MP (Murray), HOM (SqD), Siemens QP, and GE Q are all 1-inch breakers with roughly the same models. You're supposed to use only those breakers that are certified for the panels, but I've seen so many people with mixed panels. They work, it's just not listed for the purpose.

I got the same note on the same product. The following day I was advised it shipped overnight. The only complaint I had is, they shipped it requiring a "direct signature." Which meant Fedex would not leave the package at my door under any circumstances, door tag or not. Fortunately I met the driver, and had no problem. But why not an indirect signature?... Oh well, I got it anyway.

I have a 100 amp circuit on my HPWC. This will be fine with the 72amp Model X setup, right?

I don't think this has anything to do with Supply and Demand. This is just the Tesla Store being the Tesla Store.

The only way to even begin to understand the incompetency of the Tesla store staff is to watch Making of a Murderer on Netflix. But, that only gives you a brief glimpse at the magnitude of just how bad the Tesla Store is.

They don't sell things based on whether they have stock of something or not. I think it's completely random as to whether a given item indicated as in stock will actually be there. Nothing that normally goes into inventory management takes place at the Tesla Store.

All I can really say is I wish you luck on getting your HPWC, but don't rationalize not getting it based on any logical reasoning whatsoever.