Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help with charging adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I just picked up my Tesla Model S last night and do not have a plug installed in my garage yet (that's next week). I thought I could make an adapter to use so that I could plug into my dryer outlet. It is an older 3 prong 30 amp plug. The adapter I made is not working. I get a red light when I plug it in. I'll attempt to attach pictures to this thread. Any help is much appreciated.

John

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 126
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 98
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 98
Ok, I fixed the ground and it is now working. I read somewhere on the forums that if you have a Federal Pacific Panel box that you should NOT do what I am trying to do.......and of course this house has a Federal Pacific Panel. Grrrrrr. Ok, so I turned the amp down to 20 amps and will keep an eye on it. I won't leave it on overnight. Just need to get me through the weekend and back to my other house on Monday (where I will have a Tesla wall unit installed on Monday).

IMO too many stories posted of folks who think electricity is simple, so they should do it themselves. Sometimes leads to disaster. Not trying to judge you as I don't know you. Wouldn't it be simpler and safer to either buy a 10-30 UMC adaptor or just use a 5-15 (i.e. the standard plug) for the next week? I know Tesla doesn't sell the 10-30s online anymore, but I hear you can still buy them.

I had that extension cord made by an electrician. When it wouldn't work I sent a picture to my brother (who is an electrician) and he mentioned the ground. I sent the same picture to my Electrician and he noticed the same thing (turns out his helpers made the extension cord). I don't like messing with electricity at all, that's why I asked for an electrician to make the cord for me until he can get here next week to replaced the Pacific Federal panel box and run a new outlet to the garage.

- - - Updated - - -

The warning against using this with a Federal Pacific Panel box has me a little nervous. I turned the charging amps down to 20 amps. I've checked the cable running from the dryer plug to the garage and it is not warm at all. If the cord does not get hot, then should it be ok for this weekend?

I had that extension cord made by an electrician. When it wouldn't work I sent a picture to my brother (who is an electrician) and he mentioned the ground. I sent the same picture to my Electrician and he noticed the same thing (turns out his helpers made the extension cord). I don't like messing with electricity at all, that's why I asked for an electrician to make the cord for me until he can get here next week to replaced the Pacific Federal panel box and run a new outlet to the garage.

- - - Updated - - -

The warning against using this with a Federal Pacific Panel box has me a little nervous. I turned the charging amps down to 20 amps. I've checked the cable running from the dryer plug to the garage and it is not warm at all. If the cord does not get hot, then should it be ok for this weekend?
I still have a couple of Tesla 10-30 adapters available for sale if you can't find one at your local service center.