Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it too soon or too late to ask about a front lic. plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MikeL

some guy
Jan 24, 2013
Seriously, is there really no consideration for mounting a front plate, required by law in many states, including mine. Also I have the coolest plate so don't want to waste it. They come in pairs. :frown: Maybe we all just go without. I tell the cops, "everybody was doin' it" ?

They provide a frame and will mount it for you, but better yet, magneplate is making a magnetic mount for the S and the X so you don't have to drill holes to mount the front plate, visit their site to get updates on availability of the X mount.

The front plate holder that came with my Model X didn't seem to be the right one, but I just checked again and sure enough, it fits. With two holes next to the front sensors and another hole at the center bottom angle above the lower grill, no way am I going to drill into the front of Model X. There has to be a better solution if it becomes a major problem.

I too have skipped front plate installation on 5 of the last 6 cars. No fix-it or other problems. I avoid the known problem areas of LA.

Here is how the plate holder appears when placed against Model X. Getting it centered is a visual process. The top rear of the holder doesn't touch anything, even though a thicker portion of the back appears as it would.

IMG_2113.jpg

Photo retouched to reduce reflections.

Last edited:
There are some interesting options for temporary plate installation that someone will invent.

As a test and at your own risk...

Take a thin plastic vacuum crevice tool and place the flat edge on the flat bumper and gently push it towards the grill opening. (A Shop-Vac® crevice tool would be too thick.) This is only to suggest how a custom designed flat object could be used to provide a temporary mounting surface for a license plate

There is much width to work with and the plate would fit nicely in front of the opening. While using the lowest bottom grill opening may not be recommended during drives, it could be very effective for the problem areas when parking. The grill is more flexible than Model S and could be damaged if an object struck the license plate.

The inventors should soon have some solutions to help those who don't want to experiment.

Last edited:
What is wrong with drilling the front to put plates on? Bar a collector car, I see no problem. I had the BMW drill my beautiful 650 day the plates arrived, did the same with Tesla. I see my car from the front for almost 10 seconds every morning as I step in the garage. The rest I am enjoying the driver seat view.

What is wrong with drilling the front to put plates on? Bar a collector car, I see no problem. I had the BMW drill my beautiful 650 day the plates arrived, did the same with Tesla. I see my car from the front for almost 10 seconds every morning as I step in the garage. The rest I am enjoying the driver seat view.
I agree, nothing wrong at all with having the plates mounted if necessary. I will enjoy taking a photo of the Model X with a front license plate temporarily mounted, then I can decide if it is worth the risk to avoid the drilling of paint and plastic.

Part of the frustration of front plate mounting results in living in a state that doesn't have front plates. For 15 years I enjoyed that luxury and the cars looked better. Many front plates get bent and IMHO, the whole idea of numbers in the front taking away from the magnificent design of the automobile is annoying.

Tickets in Los Angeles are $25 bucks each. I have paid it when I get them. I've had the model S for 3 years now and I have gotten six total. $150. $50 bucks a year... A small price to pay for how much better it looks in my opinion. But thats just me.

I will not have a plate on my Model X. It just looks way better without!

Tickets in Los Angeles are $25 bucks each. I have paid it when I get them. I've had the model S for 3 years now and I have gotten six total. $150. $50 bucks a year... A small price to pay for how much better it looks in my opinion.

Did you get those tickets while parked, or where you pulled over? If when parked, less of a big deal. Getting pulled over when you have to be somewhere in time, that wouldn't be worth it to me.