Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disconnect switch for HPWC install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
When installing a HPWC, you need to have a shutoff switch nearby. I am wondering if a flush mount panel like this one with a 100A breaker in it would suffice for this requirement?

Square D Circuit Breaker Enclosure, Surface, NEMA 1 FA100S | Zoro.com

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
When installing a HPWC, you need to have a shutoff switch nearby. I am wondering if a flush mount panel like this one with a 100A breaker in it would suffice for this requirement?

Square D Circuit Breaker Enclosure, Surface, NEMA 1 FA100S | Zoro.com

Yes, it will work. The only requirement is that it be readily accessible ("capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal or inspection"), have a provision to lock the disconnect in the "off" position, and that the means to lock it is not removable when the lock isn't present. That locking tang will suffice.

In some jurisdic5ions a lock out at the distant panel is sufficent also. That is you can lock the breaker off and work onthe hpwc with no fear that someone will turnit back on. Much more elegant.

Pretty sure the National Electric Code says that if the breaker box is in line of sight, no disconnect is needed.

I would go so far to venture a guess (just a guess) that residential installations do not require a local-cut off as everything must go through the main panel.

Pretty sure the National Electric Code says that if the breaker box is in line of sight, no disconnect is needed.

I would go so far to venture a guess (just a guess) that residential installations do not require a local-cut off as everything must go through the main panel.

Here is what the code actually says - and you can see why it's subject to interpretation. From NEC 2014:

625.42 Disconnecting Means. For electric vehicle supply equipment rated more than 60 amperes or more than 150 volts to ground, the disconnecting means shall be provided and installed in a readily accessible location. The disconnecting means shall be lockable open in accordance with 110.25.

For reference, 110.25 is the standard "lockable open", which says:

110.25 Lockable Disconnecting Means. Where a disconnecting means is required to be lockable open elsewhere in this Code, it shall be capable of being locked in the open position. The provisions for locking shall remain in place with or without the lock installed.

Exception: Cord-and-plug connection locking provisions shall not be required to remain in place without the lock installed.

So the issue hinges on the definition and interpretation of "readily accessible". Here's the official definition, from article 100:

Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible). Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those tho whom ready access is requisite to actions such as to use tools, to climb over or remove obstacles, or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth.

Clear as mud, isn't it?

Now, a guideline is present in the appliances article, if you're trying to convince your inspector - this was updated for the 2014 code:

422.31 Disconnection of Permanently Connected Appliances.

[...]

(B) Appliances Rated over 300 Volt-Amperes.
For permanently connected appliances rated over 300 volt-amperes, the branch-circuit switch or circuit breaker shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means where the switch or circuit breaker is within sight from the appliance or is lockable in accordance with 110.25.

So the intention appears to be preventing energizing the circuit while the appliance is being maintained. The EV article doesn't contain the same provision but I've seen it successfully argued this way.

Some inspectors consider having to go through a home to a breaker panel located elsewhere as the equivalent of an obstacle and want it in the same room or within line of sight - even if lockable. Some inspectors are just fine with a breaker elsewhere, provided it's lockable. Some are fine with "readily accessible" being located at 7' off the floor, some want it 6'4" or lower in line with the "highest breaker" mandate.

Want to be safe from red-tag inspection failures? Install one next to the device.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
The plug itself counts as a cutoff in that scenario. You didn't actually need the switch.
In addition, if it's under 60 amps it doesn't need a disconnect. The one strange rule I found out about when I installed my Leviton is that a plug-in EVSE must be removable without tools. That is why the Leviton unit pictured above has a knurled knob screw that allows you to pull the unit off the wall without tools. I didn't want to pay for the bracket kit for my EVB40, so I just used lag screws to attach it to the wall.

In most areas, the cutoff switch can be the circuit breaker if it is in sight and a reasonable distance. I used the Hubbel unit.

View attachment 108082

Liked your setup so hope you don't mind I did something similar. :)
Although had to install mine outside since I primarily park in the driveway. It's on the side of the garage and the sub-panel is almost directly behind the HPWC on the inside of the garage. We are in the middle of a remodel so was able to get the charger and disconnect installed without any visable conduit.

Tesla HPWC and disconnect
on Flickr

Reactions: akidesir
This lockable disconnect -- just a piece of metal to which you can lock the breaker open, on the breaker panel in the basement far from the HPWC was fine for my inspector. Far more elegant and cheaper than a big ugly box near the HPWC.

20161127_090650.jpg

This lockable disconnect -- just a piece of metal to which you can lock the breaker open, on the breaker panel in the basement far from the HPWC was fine for my inspector. Far more elegant and cheaper than a big ugly box near the HPWC.

View attachment 203695

Reviving this old thread. I am in the process of installing the 90Amp circuit/HPWC. My township inspector also recommend same option (padlock circuit breaker) instead of ugly disconnect switch near HPWC. Is there any reason to install the "disconnect switch" if township insepctor is happy without it (infect its his recommendation to avoid ugly disconnect)?

My local jurisdiction required a local cut-off for a HPWC I had installed on the side of the garage.

View attachment 427831 View attachment 427832 Just so people see. This is what the Tesla recommended electrician did. Pretty picky local jurisdiction as well.
I also bought similar "disconnect breaker box" from Lowes which I returned after talking to township inspector. The purpose of disconnect is to avoid shock while working on the unit and someone accidentally turn ON the breaker. Little padlock on the breaker achieve same purpose for residential use with single main panel.

But, I agree with you, local disconnect is certainly required by many townships. The lockable means is must have by code for circuit > 60 Amp.

Reactions: Joelc