Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why no 'car'toons showing to side - instrument panel/7.1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On 7.1, car(toons) are shown in adjacent lanes on the IP. When the Tesla overtakes one of these cars, they just disappear while in front, instead of moving to beside the Tesla. One would think that Tesla could have handled this more elegantly... I understand the limitation of a single forward facing radar/camera that initially tracks the vehicle. However, side sonar should be picking it up as the Tesla moves past it, so could our cars not pretty strongly infer that the vehicle is still beside the Tesla and show it as such on the screen? Similarly, for vehicles overtaking the Tesla, our car could know "i'm moving forward... last I checked, there was no wall/barrier beside me (based on front sensors), thus since I now see something beside me, it must be a vehicle" and show it as such.

This isn't a big deal, I just wonder if others think this could of been handle better than Tesla is choosing to (and I get they have priorities, and even if they well could have done similar to what I *try* to describe above, perhaps it just didn't fit in, priority wise. From a UX perspective, it is off-putting that the cars on the IP just go away when being passed (often getting replaced with the 'sonar' indicator anyway).

I think the front side sonar is either software or hardware limited.

It never detects cars for me* (and others on the forum) going more than let's say about 35mph. The rear one shows me blind sport detection of cars at pretty much any speed.

*The only exception is if I get close to a truck at 75mph, the front sonar will see it, but a typical car half a lane length away? Nope.

- - - Updated - - -

But yes, I was a little disappointed by that too.

The Mobileye system used by TM is based on a front windshield mounted camera. It cannot see to the sides or back. Thus it only shows the icons of the vehicles in its FOV i.e. ahead of your front fenders. Not sure we want it to guesstimate the location of the other vehicles. We all know that future iterations will need multiple cameras.