Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Door Closer concept

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this just the prototype or how it will really be?

Model S: Designing the Perfect Endurance Athlete | Blog | Tesla Motors

Are you keeping the awesome door handles?

Franz: Yes! Door handles will be flush to the body of the car on every Model S. The handles are people’s first point of contact with the car. They should feel solid and inspire confidence, but they should also lend to the aerodynamics of the vehicle. That’s why I wanted the handles to be more of an accent, appearing when needed. As planned, they will only present themselves when passengers approach the car. Making the handles flush to the body improves airflow down the body’s sides, reducing the drag coefficient and extending range.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to admit that I was mesmerized simply watching the door handle extend and retract.
It really is a nifty feature, even if impractical. (So who cares? Its sooo cool.)

That said, er, written, I hope that the door handle extender motor can overcome 1/2 inch (1 cm or so) of ice coating the whole car. I will probably never see so much as a snowflake at Newport Beach, but if I should drive a Model S up to Big Bear, it could happen.

Ardie

Based on things that have been heard:

1) The handle is expected to extend upon the approach of the keyfob...probably only if the door's been recently unlocked.

2) They are designing it to handle a fairly thick sheet of ice...either with a strong motor, a heater, or both. (likely a heating element).

3) One has to assume there is a "manual" way to open it in the event of a loss of power or an accident.

It's possible the handle ends up like a design in which you push in one side and the other side swings out (like an Aston-Martin), but that also extends automatically.

If you have 1/2 inch thick ice from freezing rain on your car, you're not going to be able to open the door anyway, even if the door handle works! I've been trapped outside my car by much less ice than that.

Excellent point Doug! I wish somebody would point that out to the dimwits on the official Tesla forums... I might have to stop reading them. There are a couple people who comment on every single thread and then there are the random people who bring up the same complaints about the model S over and over.

This was Geneva in 2005 (pics are from the internet, but my wife's cousin was living there and sent us similar photos at the time...):

leman-glace06.jpg
leman-glace07.jpg
Quai Versoix janv 05 (12).jpg
Quai Versoix janv 05 (20).jpg

I think the pictures from Geneva clearly shows that if you've got 1 inch of solid ice on the car, it seems unsafe to use it anyway as the road will probably be so bad you don't want to risk crashing your nice Model S anyways. Heating or strong motor will make sure a thin layer of ice can be dealt with.

Cobos

Here's what I was told today: The drivers door will have a proximity detector which will make the handle present itself when you approach with the key. The other doors would have a touch sensor so that the handles would present themselves. This is all dependent upon finalizing a heating element inside the doors for the colder climates. Some of the Beta's have been fitted with Aston Martin handles for ease of development.