Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to Shift Into Neutral from Drive in 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jdw

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2015
Vancouver
Since the 7.1 update I have noticed that I am not able to shift into neutral while driving. Not a big deal, except for HyperMilers and stabilizing the car in very icy conditions, but wondering if anyone else has noticed the same?

Since the 7.1 update I have noticed that I am not able to shift into neutral while driving. Not a big deal, except for HyperMilers and stabilizing the car in very icy conditions, but wondering if anyone else has noticed the same?
If this is truly the case, it's a horrible decision from a safety stand point, and will be the first vehicle I've ever driven where you can't shift from D to N while moving.

I've only tried it at freeway speeds, so I'm going to try at a lower speed today. I posted as it doesn't seem like this would be a good decision and was wondering if it was "only me" ...

Update: It seems the control of shifting into neutral has changed a little. Previously, the car would shift to neutral on a "full" upward push of the shifter. Now, you can select neutral at any speed with a "half" upward push. A full push does nothing except beep.

This actually makes more sense, but the change in behaviour took me by surprise the first few times.

Last edited:
I've only tried it at freeway speeds, so I'm going to try at a lower speed today. I posted as it doesn't seem like this would be a good decision and was wondering if it was "only me" ...

Update: It seems the control of shifting into neutral has changed a little. Previously, the car would shift to neutral on a "full" upward push of the shifter. Now, you can select neutral at any speed with a "half" upward push. A full push does nothing except beep.

This actually makes more sense, but the change in behaviour took me by surprise the first few times.
So they actually made it EASIER to shift to neutral? if so, that's a good thing, it's just surprising.