Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mileage when towing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If towing a 4000 lb trailer and 6 adults are sitting in the X. What kind of Milage can I expect? Saw Mark's video on towing his boat. Energy consumption is high with the driver only. Wonder how much more energy needed to pull 5 more people and the Milage on a full charge.

Increased weight means increased rolling resistance but the main range limiter would be drag. Having extra weight wouldn't reduce range by a lot. If your concerned about your range when towing, you should focus on getting an aerodynamic trailer.

Uphill is going to be the big difference. Getting to the lakes around here is mostly NOT a flatland journey. Simple gravity physics. I expect to suck down a full battery in <100 miles, and my boat is not big & heavy, just uphill. Stay tuned :smile:

Uphill is going to be the big difference. Getting to the lakes around here is mostly NOT a flatland journey. Simple gravity physics. I expect to suck down a full battery in <100 miles, and my boat is not big & heavy, just uphill. Stay tuned :smile:

Just think of all the energy you'll get back as you come downhill. Maybe all you'll need is enough battery left to get you back to the top of the hill, and that'll get you home :)

And who said we can't get a "battery" on a trailer to tow for extra range! (*)

(*) Claim of extra range isn't actually a true claim - just a recovery of previously consumed energy from losing altitude previously gained.

A "trailering regen" setting, as in a real down-the-canyon-with-a-load engine breaking would be great! The battery can take at least 135kW at a SuperCharger (empty) which is more than the motor in the car can produce during regen, so yes, you should be able to recoup lots, if not all of the potential energy you used on the way up. Problems w that scenario come with cold, a battery that's already charged, or a car (EV) that's not programmed to take full advantage of the situation, in which cases you will need to use the brakes, maybe a lot! Regen is pretty much gone w a full battery, as is necessary.
Sorry to hijack the thread. I just drive these hills everyday and know that for the short hauls, it's more of an issue than aerodynamics. If you are trailering cross country, then aero is more of a consideration. As is unhooking so you can SuperCharge!

We have a trip coming up, and my wife has her eyes on this:

00101_804iLdqKpSm_600x450.jpg

at about 3600lbs dry weight, I can't see a P90D X getting more than 120 miles on a charge. A bit nerve wracking as one stretch is 130 miles between chargers.

@AnOutsider
Consider how you might model an estimation of the mileage. For example, you might take into account weight of the camper, weight of the items in the camper, coeff. of drag of the camper, height, width, etc. This might be a useful start to a handy tool for evtripplanner or a good email suggestion for Tesla to offer something in-house (i.e. on the website) to aid shoppers.