Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After Model X Signature Delivery - Call Tesla!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When both key fobs failed today, I could still access the vehicle with the smart phone. That's not the topic of this thread.

When I called Tesla Roadside Assistance and gave them my Model X Signature VIN, the reply was not what I expected. My vehicle was listed with a completely different owner name in the Tesla Motors computer. He read back the full VIN and it was the same as the dash screen. They only saw my 3 year old Model S when looking up my name.

After some time, they did check the "My Tesla" screens and saw the VINs for both Model S and X. The Tesla person said they would look into the issue of the incorrect data.

IMHO, my suggestion is to give Tesla a call after your Model X Signature delivery to check if your information is current.

Thanks for the continued advice based on your experience, Mark. Pretty bizarre in this case. I have to imagine (hope) it's a one-off.
I hope so as well. One possibility was a changing of early VINs. My original one was the perfect "10". I got bumped into the teenage zone about a month later. Still, it doesn't make sense when the ordering/customer screens are right and the service management screens didn't match.

It does bring up the question of the type of database they are using and it doesn't appear to be a widely connected relational database to me. Reminds me of when delivery and sales had different data on their screens that couldn't be viewed by the other department. The service department could be making the decision on how their world of service data is obtained, stored and shared.

When both key fobs failed today, I could still access the vehicle with the smart phone. That's not the topic of this thread.

When I called Tesla Roadside Assistance and gave them my Model X Signature VIN, the reply was not what I expected. My vehicle was listed with a completely different owner name in the Tesla Motors computer. He read back the full VIN and it was the same as the dash screen. They only saw my 3 year old Model S when looking up my name.

After some time, they did check the "My Tesla" screens and saw the VINs for both Model S and X. The Tesla person said they would look into the issue of the incorrect data.

IMHO, my suggestion is to give Tesla a call after your Model X Signature delivery to check if your information is current.

Applies probably to previous Tesla owners and not to first time buyers obviously. Thanks Mark your posts are always informative. Hope you get your X serviced soon and the 2nd row seats problem is solved. I was amazed to read about the detailing and colour issues.

Applies probably to previous Tesla owners and not to first time buyers obviously...
First time buyer or not, every Model X Signature owner should consider a quick call to Roadside Assistance to check if their name, address and VIN are correct. Otherwise, don't be surprised if the Model X Signature data in that department might not be aligned with both your order screen at "My Tesla" or the vehicle(s) that appear on your smart phone.

One reason to allow the DB to have a different owner for a VIN in service vs. sales is to account for selling the vehicle to a second owner. And we know that's already happened. Sounds like the early VIN change might explain it in your case. Clearly a mistake, but probably not a design flaw.