Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, what's next after 7.1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

esk8mw

Oct 6, 2015
Midwest
What are the next features due out under the current ap sensor suite? It seems like many of you knew perpendicular parking and summons was next, so I must have missed some data somewhere laying out the master plan. Will future updates merely improve these existing features until the new ap suite comes out or is there more yet to come?

i really like 7.1 so far, fwiw. Just curious about the limitations and endgame for ap 1.0.

What are the next features due out under the current ap sensor suite? It seems like many of you knew perpendicular parking and summons was next, so I must have missed some data somewhere laying out the master plan. Will future updates merely improve these existing features until the new ap suite comes out or is there more yet to come?

i really like 7.1 so far, fwiw. Just curious about the limitations and endgame for ap 1.0.
Well it would be nice if we got what was advertised in the initial AP release and to be delivered over the next few months from Oct 2014:
- hands free driving on-ramp to off-ramp on freeways
- the car driving to meet you wherever you are on private property

Neither of those have been delivered yet.

I'd also like trip planner to end range anxiety instead of create more....

There will be a major UI overhaul (wait, no, that was 7.1). There will be an SDK (wait, that was 5.0). There will be decent navigation that takes wind speed and temperatures into account and allows different routes, including speed recommendations (no, that's 6.0).

My feeling is Tesla will concentrate on UI enhancements, at least in terms of things we see. I'm sure they'll do some under the hood tweaks to autopilot that we won't really see.

I say that because AP is pretty much feature complete at this point. Sure there is a possibility that they'll add the ability to have the car parallel park without the driver at the wheel. But, beyond that I don't see anything missing.

Last edited:
What I would like next? Has been listed in the previous 6 posts. Better on-ramp to off-ramp. Better nav. Better trip planner. Waypoints.

What I expect will be next? More headline catching gimmicks.

My feeling is Tesla will concentrate on UI enhancements, at least in terms of things we see. I'm sure they'll do some under the hood tweaks to autopilot that we won't really see.

I say that because AP is pretty much feature complete at this point. Sure there is a possibility that they'll add the ability to have the car parallel park without the driver at the wheel. But, beyond that I don't see anything missing.

I think a lot of people will disagree with you there. AP and the related features have a ton of things missing. Summon is barely a proof of concept. Unless you can line up your car right in front of the spot it needs to go it's useless. Reading of speed signs needs more work. Identification of the type of road. Of exits. Of road splits. Positioning compared to cars in neighboring lanes.

What I would like next? Has been listed in the previous 6 posts. Better on-ramp to off-ramp. Better nav. Better trip planner. Waypoints.

To me that is the crux. There are so many cool things that got started. The "trip planner" (and navigation over all). The UI changes. AP as discussed above. A lot of new and exciting stuff at its time. And nothing gets finished. We get to 80% and then Tesla moves to the next shiny thing. Very much the behavior of a startup, driven by the news cycle and the free marketing that it brings.

So what does that mean for the prediction of what's next? I guess it means we have a chance to finally see the SDK because that would definitely be news worthy, creating an app eco system for your car. Of course it will be extremely limited, barely functional with no way for the typical app developer to participate (oh, wait, I need to go take my anti-depressants before posting here...)

To me NAV is the most important thing of the fixes that need to be made. It's so bad that people can't trust an important driving aid and it's sad we need our phones at the ready when NAV "gets lost". In Elon's tweet after 7.0 came out he asked users to tell him what they wanted in 7.1 (that was odd all by itself) a very high percentage (maybe 40-50%?) mentioned NAV. In our own TMC surveys it is THE #1 complaint and recommendation for improvement. Since it hasn't been updated or fixed in over two years this tells me either they don't want to fix it, don't think it needs to be or, worse, don't know how. There's other apps in the UI that need attention too and since Elon stated after 7.0 came out that 7.1 was going to be focused on the UI I'm getting frustrated and concerned.

Enhance voice recognition will be my top priority. Something that does not require hardware upgrade, but still headline grabbing.
But if the front camera can record to an USB, that will make my day.:wink: This is simply because I don't like aftermarket product (i.e. dash cam) not endorsed by Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

To me that is the crux. There are so many cool things that got started. The "trip planner" (and navigation over all). The UI changes. AP as discussed above. A lot of new and exciting stuff at its time. And nothing gets finished. We get to 80% and then Tesla moves to the next shiny thing. Very much the behavior of a startup, driven by the news cycle and the free marketing that it brings.

Agree, and someone said that the unfinished 10% is the hardest and most time consuming. The sad part is that it may that be that news worthy.

- - - Updated - - -

AP isn't complete. It was promised that a future update would enable the car to detect traffic lights and stop signs and come to a halt.

If the lawyers would sign-off on such feature.:rolleyes: Probably not until autonomous is ready in 2 years EST.

Just call it Beta, and the lawyers will love it.

But seriously, MobilEye should be able to do it, and Tesla should be able to do it. The driver is still responsible in AP, so if you plow through a red light, that's your fault.

I think they need to deal with the 3G connectivity being always cut off.

I know they have a LTE upgrade but at that price it's ridiculous. The spotify is GREAT but only if it doesn't cut off once every 10-15 minutes for a 5 minutes break session.

Perhaps a change in the phone app would be nice. I'm using Allen's app now but it's still laggy sometimes and it'd be great if the factory app has more activities.

I think they need to deal with the 3G connectivity being always cut off.

I know they have a LTE upgrade but at that price it's ridiculous. The spotify is GREAT but only if it doesn't cut off once every 10-15 minutes for a 5 minutes break session.

Perhaps a change in the phone app would be nice. I'm using Allen's app now but it's still laggy sometimes and it'd be great if the factory app has more activities.
How much do they charge in HK for LTE? It is $500USD plus tax in USA.

To me NAV is the most important thing of the fixes that need to be made. It's so bad that people can't trust an important driving aid and it's sad we need our phones at the ready when NAV "gets lost". In Elon's tweet after 7.0 came out he asked users to tell him what they wanted in 7.1 (that was odd all by itself) a very high percentage (maybe 40-50%?) mentioned NAV. In our own TMC surveys it is THE #1 complaint and recommendation for improvement. Since it hasn't been updated or fixed in over two years this tells me either they don't want to fix it, don't think it needs to be or, worse, don't know how. There's other apps in the UI that need attention too and since Elon stated after 7.0 came out that 7.1 was going to be focused on the UI I'm getting frustrated and concerned.
Yeah, I actually tweeted back at him asking what happened to that UI update in 7.1... I don't know if they have a working process to really understand what their owners perceive has high priority items :-(

AP isn't complete. It was promised that a future update would enable the car to detect traffic lights and stop signs and come to a halt.

I think this is the first reply that's responsive to the OP, so thanks. It sounds like most of the promised features are already in so we can just expect improvements to existing AP features.

What is the preferred Tesla email address to suggest improvements? I know I'm probably shouting into an abyss with any suggestions as they receive a ton of feedback but I still want to try.

I think this is the first reply that's responsive to the OP, so thanks. It sounds like most of the promised features are already in so we can just expect improvements to existing AP features.

What is the preferred Tesla email address to suggest improvements? I know I'm probably shouting into an abyss with any suggestions as they receive a ton of feedback but I still want to try.

Sorry, didn't realize you were only looking for feedback on AP. Also would like to see a link re the reference to a promise about stop signs and traffic light recognition. Here's the email address.

[email protected]

7.2 will include yet another clock in another location, will remove the equalizer function from the media control, and there will be no appreciable fixes to navigation or any of the core software common to all vehicles. But the car will be able to valet itself.