Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rated Range dropped by 10km on 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ICUDoc

May 19, 2015
Sydney NSW
Hi guys
My 90% on the P85D was regularly (and I'm a boring predictable person with a boring predictable driving pattern) 362km. Since 7.1 it has said 352 both mornings. Anyone else noted same?
I'm infused, sure it hasn't ACTUALLY changed anything, just thought it odd.

Hi guys
My 90% on the P85D was regularly (and I'm a boring predictable person with a boring predictable driving pattern) 362km. Since 7.1 it has said 352 both mornings. Anyone else noted same?

On an extended range 90 kw I have lost 30k on 100% rated and proportionally that on typical etc. I suspect it may have something to do with power being reserved for(executive) functionality of the battery.

attachment.php

Attachments

• VT.PNG
    VT.PNG
    46.5 KB · Views: 110
Hi guys

Getting 332kms typical range at 85% on P85D since 7.1, previously it was 340kms, also the energy use last 10kms is all over the place, even on a flat road with cruise control, all appears to sort itself out by the end of a trip.

Yep...my 70 dropped from typical range of 327km's to about 315km's charged to 80%

Out of interest...you guys have 90's and 85's and D's to boot...why is your typical range not that much higher than my 70 non-dual? I do indeed get the typical range that is reported within a few percent.

-ECIT

Well Typical is determined on ones driving habits (actual is a better word).....Rated is much higher (12% in my case) and not usually achievable in real life unless you're really trying.

So I would imagine Typical should be the same throughout the word and only rated would vary.....besides BlueHeaven from Australia with a P85D's is only getting slightly more km's on his typical range compared to me...I am running 21's on a baseline Model S 70 (non-dual)....just wondering what I am missing...

-ECIT

I mean Typical range shouldn't matter what country you're in (on the assumption that Dennis87's commit above is correct)....I would assume only Rated Range, at most, would change between countries.

Typical, I thought, is actually based on ones actual drive habits and fairly accurate in how many km's you will get/or have left in the batteries?

I average around 185-205Kwh around Melbourne...must be my driving doesn't encounter many hills?

-ECIT

Depends where you drive, 90% of my driving is around Bondi and my typical consumption is 360 kwh, but drive out towards Parramatta and it will drop to 150 kwh or less

I think you mean Watt hours per Kilometer (Wh/km), I am averaging 205 Wh/Km overall and will often achieve around 150 Wh/Km coming back from the Southern Highlands, the trip up however is more like 220 to 230 Wh/Km. 360Wh/Km sounds like a lot unless it's a cold day and the battery is heating.

Well Typical is determined on ones driving habits (actual is a better word).....

I don't think that's right. The one that's based on your driving habits is the Predicted range shown on the energy graph for the past 50km. I do a lot of city driving and my Predicted range is about 30% less than Typical.

I think our Typical is equivalent to US Rated, whereas our Rated is similar to US Ideal.

I used to think typical was based upon your actual usage, but was corrected about 6 months ago when I made a comment along those lines on the forum.

My current understanding (which could well still be wrong!) is:

Rated - uses the Wh/km rate that you would have to achieve to do the rated range stated on the consumption label stuck inside your windscreen (502km for an 85kwh RWD). This is something down around 160Wh/km (bearing in mind there is maybe only 80kWh in the battery that is usable) and therefore is close to unachievable in normal driving. On a long trip, on flat roads, minimal AC use and keeping speed down to 100km/hr you might get it.

Typical - Uses the Wh/km rate stated on the consumption sticker that was stuck inside your windscreen which is 181Wh/km for an 85kwh RWD. This is much closer to be achievable in a mix of everyday driving and hence seems relatively accurate for many drivers, particularly on longer trips.

Predicted - Is based on your actual average usage for the last xx km, depending on which distance you have selected on the energy graph.

As to why the figures displayed at 90 or 100% charge are changing I can only hypothesise that Tesla are playing around with the minimum level the battery can be discharged to or how they calculate what the total capacity of the battery is (which will naturally reduce over time).

The consumption rate used for Rated or Typical in different countries may be different based upon the testing cycle used in those countries to get the official rated range and "fuel consumption" figures.

I did read a few days ago that rated range can change dependant on the outside temp affecting the battery temp when it's finished charging. By any chance had there been a large variation in temp since you applied the update?
You're right, it can change with temp, but my garage temp not so changeable to explain this. It's just an algorithm-rewrite, I'm not troubled. Just thought I'd check to see if I was special...

The wording is also confusing depending which country you are in. That is, the USA does not have typical range at all. They call it something else, which leads to confusion when reading posts.
My typical 90% range is 352km it was 348 prior to 7.1.
85 KW rear wheel drive.