Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you drive with AP? Hands on wheel poll.

While using AP, what contact do you keep with the wheel?

• Two hands

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • One hand (or a couple of fingers, etc)

Votes: 24 48.0%
  • No hands

Votes: 16 32.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This poll is to get an idea how people are actually using AP. We all know Tesla requires "Two hands on wheel and ready to take over at any moment". But we all also know not everyone does that. Lets do an unscientific forum inquiry on the subject, just for fun!

I can't really answer this. For me, it's dynamic. If there are cars next to me or if the road is more than trivially curved (or lacking a divider), I'll keep both hand on the wheel. If I'm on a deserted stretch of straight, open, divided highway, I'll have one hand on the wheel most of the time (with my arm on the arm rest or on my lap) interspersed with periods when I fully take my hands off the wheel to stretch.

This is somewhat variable for me. Two hands any time there's traffic around, curves in the road, etc. One hand lightly on the wheel when on long straight sections with little to no traffic.
But the most important part is my eyes are always on the road and instruments, and I am ALWAYS ready to take over instantly with zero delay. Honestly, if that's the case, and your hands aren't full of other things, it really doesn't much matter if they're physically in contact with the wheel or not.

I feel this is a repeat of a previous poll...

The answer: It depends.
-Sometimes I have no hands on the wheel, and rest them on my lap ready to take over.
-Sometimes I rest them on my lap and keep my thumb on the wheel in case it does anything stupid, I'll reduce the required reaction time.
-Sometimes I keep my elbow on the armrest, and keep 2 fingers on the wheel (sort of the way I normally drive anyways), but very lightly gripping the steering wheel and sort of resting my hand on the steering wheel as it feels natural to hold the wheel while in the car.

I feel this is a repeat of a previous poll...

The answer: It depends.
-Sometimes I have no hands on the wheel, and rest them on my lap ready to take over.
-Sometimes I rest them on my lap and keep my thumb on the wheel in case it does anything stupid, I'll reduce the required reaction time.
-Sometimes I keep my elbow on the armrest, and keep 2 fingers on the wheel (sort of the way I normally drive anyways), but very lightly gripping the steering wheel and sort of resting my hand on the steering wheel as it feels natural to hold the wheel while in the car.

But we love polls!! <3

I usually have one hand lightly holding the wheel. If I'm on a section of freeway that is fairly clear and well-marked, I have an arm on the door panel and the other resting in my lap, ready to take over whenever necessary.

If conditions are steady and stable, I have my hand on my right knee/thigh, palm down, not touching the wheel.

If conditions are more dynamic or I feel that I may have to intervene, then my hand will be palm up, ready to grab the wheel, or lightly grabbing the wheel with fingers.

If I feel that I may really need to steer because AP might lose the lane markings, then I go to TACC only and manually steer.